Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Burn....

Options

After over a year of use I decided after a steak sear this wkend to let it burn for a while.  With my daisy top off I opened the bottom vent about an inch and my egg held steady at 700 for about 2 hours.  I then shut it down and took a look the next morning.  From reports here I honestly expected it to be mostly white again.  It wasn't.  It did burn off a lot of the residue but quite honestly not as much as I expected at 700 for a couple of hours.  I'm pretty sure if I let it go 'wide open' it would get to 1000 plus degree's with ease but I'm also pretty sure I would ruin my gasket.  It stuck a little at 700.  I've always been skeptical of the clean burns with all the cracking issues people are having these days but decided to do it this weekend because my egg was pretty nasty from a lot of smoking and meat drippings.  Just wanted to see how you guys did this process and at what temps.....

Also, one other time just a couple of months after owner ship I did a pizza cook and it burned for only about 30 mins after pizza at a similar temp and the next time I used it the egg was mostly white.  Was it just too dirty this time.....?

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    For my clean burns I fill with lump, open vents all the way and let her rip. First time I fried the gasket and replaced with a Rutland, getting ready to do other egg soon and ordered a gasket from RRP this time.

Gambrills,Maryland

• JT_Thomas
    JT_Thomas Posts: 101
    Options
    I've only done a clean burn once, but it turned out fine.  Filled w/ lump and opened the vents.  It got up over 1000.  I ordered a Rutland from RRP right before the burn, thinking I would fry my new Egg gasket, but I went out every few minutes and burped the Egg, and had no issues.  Gasket was still in great shape afterwards.  After the burn, I balled up aluminum foil and rubbed down the inside, which removed all the soot that was clinging on.  The inside was pretty darn white after that.
  • BGE Convert
    BGE Convert Posts: 127
    Options
    Same with me.....I did a load of lump.....bottom and top were all the way open.....even did the daisy wheel....the clean burn took all the black away.....fried my gasket and spoke to RRP....man will have you a gasket sent to you within days....just be sure to pay him timely....
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    Aluminum foil! Great idea. I used some plastic scraper that I had laying around. Just worked okay.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It takes time to burn off all the buildup. Two hours at 700º is not a long time if the build up is very extensive. Either go longer or hotter. You can see the dramatic differences in the photo. My egg was very black before running it nice and hot for a while. The fire ring has been removed so you can still see the black ring in the bottom (the area protected by the fire ring).  The top is quite clean along the bottom, except where the plate setter legs were. The upper portion of the top is still black, but a much thinner coat (it actually looks like ceramic). 

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.