Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork (Butt) questions?

Options
Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After letting the rub work into the Butt for 12 hours, I put it on the egg at 11 PM last night. All was fine as it was cooking at 220 degrees. At aroung six this morning the temp was at about 140, and the internal temp was at 100 degrees. I got the temperature up and now at about 8:30 AM the internal temp is about 126 and the dome is up to around 300 degrees. I've shut all the vents trying to bring the dome temp down.[p]As this is my 1st attemp at this, is this going OK? Any thoughts on the temperatures or the vent settings? And last, will the butt (it's 7lbs.) be fully done when the internal temp hit's 200 degrees?[p]Thanks as always for your thoughts. Frank

Comments

• Fireball
    Options
    Franco,
    The bottom vent needs open about one width of a knife blade. The temperture should be between 225 and 250. The butt will be find and pullable with an internal temp of 200 degrees. Get the temp up to 225 to 250, sit back and relax, and get ready to eat great barbecue.
    Fireball

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Franco,[p]All is going just fine. I'd just crack the bottom vent open (1/8" - the top will leak enough air) to keep the fire from going completely out. Spikes and droops in the dome temp will not adversely affect the end result.[p]The internal will start rising soon and will stall out in the 160-165F range. This is the plateau where the good things happen to the meat. The plateau will last 1-2 hours and then the temp will rise steadily to 200F. Shoot for a dome temp in the 230-250F range through the plateau, then raise the dome to 275-300F once you are past 170F internal. This will help in finishing the cook a bit sooner.[p]You are going to love the result.[p]Spin

• Franco
    Options
    Spin, thanks for your thoughts (you to Fireball). The top vent is shut and the bottom is at about 1/8th like you said. It's now about 9:45 and the dome is at 240 degrees and the internal temp is at 154.[p]When I get thought the plateau and get the internal past to 170, should I just open up the bottom vent to finish it off at 275-300 degrees?[p]Thanks again for all both of your thoughts. Frank

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Franco,[p]I'd just crack the bottom open a bit more. You may need to open the top a tad to reach temp.[p]Spin