Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket

Options
Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to try my first brisket on my Large. This is the first time I attempted to start a slow fire for an overnight cook. I placed a Weber fire starter on top of a full load of lump. Didn't take long to get to 200 degrees. At 11:30 pm, I placed a 4.5 lb flat cut brisket on indirect, fat cap on top. I stabilized the temp at 210. It's 1:30 am now and holding 210 rock solid. I feel comfortable enough to go to bed. I plan to take internal temp to 185-190. After reading recent posts on time/temps, this should take around 12 hours, just in time for lunch. Should the brisket rest any time or can we dig in?[p]I'll post results tomorrow.

Comments

• Fireball
    Options
    Carl T,
    Wrap it in foil for around 20 to 30 minutes, and let it rest. If it reaches 185 - 190 early, put a couple of towels around the foil and place the entire package into a dry ice chest. It will stay warm for hours.
    Fireball

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Carl T,
    Hope the morning found you with a steady fire! Most meats should have a short rest a bit before carving (so all the juices don't run out of it when carving). 30 minutes on a plate should do just fine for that chunk-o-chest. Like Fireball mentioned, wrap infoil and stick in a cooler if you need to store for longer periods of time.
    Have a great lunch....look forward to hearing your results.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I got an email from someone this a.m. asking about a brisket - I bet it was Carl T. Seems the fire went out and he awoke around 6am to see 150 dome. I got the email about noon so I am not sure what happened from 6am-now. [p]I told him I hoped he got the fire up and going and to cook to internal of 190-200. He never said what the internal temp was at 6am. [p]Tim
  • Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Fireball,[p]Thanks to you and the others for the suggestions. Saturday morning (6:30 am)I went out to check on the temp, it had dropped to 175. I tweaked it back up to 210. Around noon (12.5 hrs cook time), the internal temp was stuck at 170. Could this have been the plateau? Anyway, we had to leave to visit my mother and I was forced to remove the brisket even though it was not at my desired temp. I let it rest and sliced it thin across the grain. It had a nice bark and the flavor was very good. (My barometer is my wife, if she likes it, it must have turned out pretty decent.) I'm sure it would have been much more tender if I would have let it go to 190. Overall, I would have to call this cook a success.[p]I would like to express my appreciation for this forum. This was the first time I have ever attempted a brisket. With the tips I picked up beforehand from the forum, I was very confident that my procedures were time tested even though this was my first brisket cook.