Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much pulled pork do I need?

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
I am cooking for 20 adults and a few kids, how much pulled pork do I need?  My wife picked up two 12-lb boneless butts at Costco and they look huge....
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• bweaver
    bweaver Posts: 112
    Options
    it's better to have enough than not enough. I fed 9 adults with 2-7 pounders today. We ate a ton and still had leftovers. So I'll guess make one full one and half of the other?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Rule of thumb is # of people/2.4 = pounds of raw pork. This figures for an average mix of men/women/children. With that math you are ready to feed 50+.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Bring on the math...
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

Number of people X 5.6oz (⅓ lb) / 16 oz = Finished product

Finished product / .6 = Total amount of product
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options

Number of people X 5.6oz (⅓ lb) / 16 oz = Finished product

Finished product / .6 = Total amount of product
    What'd I say....^^^^^
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I would think the 2 butts you have may be enough,  but you could get one more if you are worried about it.  Leftovers are always nice.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    You can't have enough leftovers, they freeze great.  Especially in vac pacs
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Numbers ... did someone mention numbers?

@tarheelmatt ... are your numbers specifically for pulled pork ... or pulled pork like meats?  I can see the 1/3 lb of cooked/finished product for an average individual ... of course you'd have to treat that "one of my favorites" guy separately. 

The 40% reduction in weight after cooking would seem to be food specific.  Steak would almost be 0%, but baby back ribs probably would be greater than 40%.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hey mark- you have plenty with leftovers. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Numbers ... did someone mention numbers?

@tarheelmatt ... are your numbers specifically for pulled pork ... or pulled pork like meats?  I can see the 1/3 lb of cooked/finished product for an average individual ... of course you'd have to treat that "one of my favorites" guy separately. 

The 40% reduction in weight after cooking would seem to be food specific.  Steak would almost be 0%, but baby back ribs probably would be greater than 40%.
    @Jeepster47 It is used for pulled like meats, not ribs, steak, etc.  Ribs you would have to weight out your crowd as to how many ribs you think they eat.   You have SGH coming, four slabs of baby backs.  But if Rachel the trophy wife is coming, maybe one - two ribs only.   

For my equation, I factor in 1/3 of a pound because apps, sides, and dessert is factored in as well.  The weight is simply a variable that can be changed to your crowd (1/4, 1/2, etc).  What I usually do is always go higher and round up to the next 10lbs or so.  

This equation has never failed me in my time.  Always have plenty to feed folks and have left over.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    I go on a golf trip every year with 15 other guys.  I always bring pulled pork for the first night.  I do 2 8-9 pounders and there's always a little leftover.  I'd say your 24 lbs. is more than enough. 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @CPARKTX-Around here those Costco packs are actually two butts/pack so you may have four six pounders.  Doesn't change the above math but will impact cook times and bark quantity if the same holds for you.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @tarheelmatt ... thanks for the feedback ... appreciated.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @lousubcap you were correct, opened them up and it was two in a cryopack. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.