Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snowday Spatchcock

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
Well since today was going to be a snowday and my meetings were postponed I picked up a chicken yesterday.
Last night I spatchcocked it, gave it a salt treatment and let it dry in the fridge overnight.

We got a bit of snow today, here's the XL after clearing the deck.

Got the Small to 400-ish*, setup indirect.

I went with DP Salt-Free Raging River since I dry brined it overnight and didn't want to add additional salt.

Almost 7 pounds and on the egg:

It ended up taking about 1.5 hours, here's the results:

The skin was nice and crispy. I think dry-brining may have helped along with the fridge time.

We were on the edge of the 1-4" and 4-7" snow bands on the weather maps, ended up with over 9":

I shoveled the driveway and walks for the 3rd time now that the snow finally stopped. Got a quick shower, and now to decide between liquor or beer. Right now the Macallan 12 seems to be calling my name the loudest.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Admire the dedication, damn the east has had one hell of a winter. Today is shirtsleeve weather and the flowers are blooming - and I can say I live in the GWN. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Most eggcellent cook-Hit right around the 1 foot mark between Weds night and Thurs AM here-no such joy with a "snow-day".  Was a heavy snow-shoveled the requisite tire paths and will let Mother Nature do the rest.  Headed for sub zero*F by Fri AM then the Spring thaw begins:)
    Friggin ground hog!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bweaver
    bweaver Posts: 112
    Options
    That's a big ass chicken!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    How is tha global warming working for you guys?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Nice chicken. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Mickey said:
    You didn't get the memo? It's climate change now, not global warming... :whistle: 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Good looking bird you got there brother D. Sure wish that we would get a little of that snow down here in Dixie. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Options
    I feel like such a girl for not going out and using my Eggs after those pictures.  

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Definitely climate change for us. Used to be almost summer, summer, still summer and Christmas round here. Seen more snow the last 4 years than the 10 before. 

Nice bird. 
  • bosco0633
    bosco0633 Posts: 383
    Options
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Yeah buddy, looks fantastic, stay warm my friend.:peace:
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DMW looks like you nailed it. :hang_loose: 
    I'm shivering just looking at those shots. Stay warm man. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    DMW said:
    Mickey said:
    You didn't get the memo? It's climate change now, not global warming... :whistle: 
    The climate has been changing on this planet for the last 4.5 billion years.
    It's only stupid humans that seem to think change is BAD, catastrophic, doomsday, etc.  Change is normal, no change is abnormal.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Nice looking chicken!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    I love that chicken!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The snow day was awesome today. Played in it for hours. We received 10 inches. Sadly, I think this is winter's last hurrah. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If it is climate change Seattle is going to be on the up and up....beautiful winter here with tons of days close or @ 60 degrees. Very unusual and we will see what we are in store for Spring/Summer
    Seattle, WA