Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Temp Gauge "Options"

Options
 I'll start by saying i LOVE my eggs "But" the temp gauges are should I say very lacking!!!!   I've pretty much stopped using mine as of late just running off memory and airflow settings but I know this is not very accurate due to several reasons...  Does anyone know of a solid replacement option preferably digital?   

I've been researching and being that I have an unused Fluke 287 that accepts a K thermocouple and Thermoworks offers high temp K thermocouples I've been thinking about giving this a shot. Anyone tried it? Any insight? 

I'm just ready to find a cure to the egg gauges sooner rather than later.. I've re calibrated till I'm blue in the face only to do a 500 degree cook and end up with a gauge stuck pointing straight down...  Time to adapt and overcome :) 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I have not had any issues with the Tel Tru analog dome thermos in each of my two BGE's.  I check the calibration before any low&slow cook and only had to adjust one about 10*F over the past few years.  Beyond that, I haven't heard of many on here experiencing issues with the Tel True products.  And I can't help with any other recommendations.
    Good luck with your quest.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    +1 what @lousbcap said. By chance do you have an older thermometer that is not a Tel Tru? BGE just switched to Tel Tru not that many years ago. Also is there a chance that you have done a number of high temperature cooks and that has caused permanent damage? That's the reason I switched out to 250 to 1,000 degree Tel Trus.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It's not digital, but smokeware has one that is larger and color coded. I don't think a digital one exists beyond the separate unit with a cabled sensor running to the egg, like you mentioned.

I personally don't have any issue with mine. I calibrate around once per month unless I accidentally let it wrap around.
  • AR_Pork_Producer
    Options
    It's not digital, but smokeware has one that is larger and color coded. I don't think a digital one exists beyond the separate unit with a cabled sensor running to the egg, like you mentioned.

I personally don't have any issue with mine. I calibrate around once per month unless I accidentally let it wrap around.
    How much do you find it off each  month?
    Large BGE, Holland Gas Grill, Masterbuilt electric smoker, Oklahoma Joe, Flame Boss
  • Thumper169
    Options
    Both of my current eggs are less than 2 years old  and both have seen "Nuclear" temps lol.  I may try upgrading to new gauges and give it a whirl. I'm not opposed to them but my current ones are obviously fried and I'm sure it's due to self inflicted battle scars.  
       I'm buying a thermocouple anyway for kicks giggles and grins, if nothing else I'll toss it in the firebox and see what the difference in temps from top to bottom are...  I'm a tinkerer "Not Tinkerbell" and like knowing and figuring out random sometimes useless things :) 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

How much do you find it off each  month?
    @AR_Pork_Producer Sorry, that didn't come out right. I test for the need to calibrate 1/month by holding it in boiling water. The only time I have actually had to calibrate/reset was after I wrapped it on a pizza cook. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

BGE also makes a larger one used for the XXL. Prolly more than the smokware, don't know for sure. I've calibrated mine once in ten -twelve years. I dont do a lot of clean burns or really high temp cooks though. If you are , I would suggest removing the retainer clip permanently and taking it out when doing really high heat cooks.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    I love my I grill
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Thumper169
    If money is not a concern, you will be hard pressed to do any better than Miljoco. They are really over kill for a smoker but they are top tier precision instruments. Be warned, they are very pricey. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.