Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did not see the show but someone called me about the GQ list of best burgers on the Ophra Winfrey show. The best burger was at some restaurant in LA. The reason I bring this up is that I was told that this particular restaurant cooks their burgers low and slow. They cook it for amost 45 minutes. Has anyone tried this method ? I'm going to give it a try today. I'll post results. Thanks, Tom

Comments

• smokeydrew
    smokeydrew Posts: 130
    Options
    BajaTom,[p]I've started cooking all my burgers this way. I love to put a chunk of cherry on the coals and smoke the burgers direct on a raised grid for about 45 minutes at 250*. The burgers turn a reddish color this way, and take on a good amount of the cherry smoke. It seems to work best with some 1/2 lb. patties.[p]-smokeydrew
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BajaTom,
    i like to do 1/2 patties on a raised grid direct at around 300 with a chunk of cherry or pecan. . .can take as long as 30 minutes. ..i mix my meat with worschteshire sauce, form the patties, then sprinkle with either kosher salt and pepper, or some dizzy cowlick, or ken stones witchy red. .. .flip them only once, and never, never press down on them. . .absolutely fantastic flavor and juicyness. ..250 would probably be even better. ...

• BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Options
    smokeydrew,
    Do you flip 'em mid way through the cook?[p]thanks,
    Brian

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    BajaTom,
    1/3-1/2 burgers, add liquid to the hamburger on the order of 1-2 T per lb. be it rooster sauce, dr. pepper, or just water. keeps the meat from drying. apply rub to patties. 225-250 with hickory for 30-45 min. wouldn't suggest with lean ground beef; get the cheap, fatty stuff. if you can mix 2/1 with ground pork, even better! no need for bacon on these burgers; has that smokey flavor built in! make sure to let them rest just a few minutes before digging in; sometimes they are so moist they will make a mess on your shirt. the 2-3 minutes rest helps the juices settle a little first.

• Dublin Dawg
    Options
    Porkchop,
    Is this direct or indirect ???

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Porkchop,
    Mike!!! Good to see you post again! I thought maybe we lost you to the ages! By chance will you be hitting the Peoriafest this year? Wess canceled out at the last minute last year. I don't know the date yet.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,[p]If you are talking about the KCBS contest, it was cancelled a couple of months ago. [p]Dave

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Old Dave,
    no I wasn't - I meant the mini-fest our local BGE dealer has had at his parking lot for 3 years now. Only about 10 or 12 of us cook and it's more of a "dealer gets to show the public his wares" fest. Otherwise you mean that KCBS was canceled due to lack of interest or sponsorship or did the park commission get all pissy about driving on their green grass again??? Sorry to hear that!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.