Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip Question

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I asked for a Tri-Tip today at my grocery store and they first said they had none but I pressed and they came back saying they had some, two in a package. Looked to be about four pounds. $31.00. For some reason I thought Tri-Tips were considerably cheaper than that. What is a good price for Tri-Tip?[p]Spring "Learning All The Time" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Spring Chicken,[p]I seem to remember paying in the $3.50/lb. range.[p]Woody54
  • Spring Chicken, check Costco, plus or minus $5 a pound.. T

• Spring Chicken,[p]I ain't seen em up here that often, but the price ranged anywhere from 4 to 8 bucks a pound. I didn't buy anything over 6 bucks..maybe if I sold a poem I kood..but until then...[p]StumpBaby

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    StumpBaby,[p]Maybe if you tried publishing some of them pomes here it would help your marketing effort.[p]Course you wouldn't want to give away all ur bestins, just one or two as a tease.[p]Jethro
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Spring Chicken, up here in IL where we raise the corn to feed to the cattle also raised here I have now paid between $5.39 and $5.99 per pound at butcher shops which are the only places I can find them. Typically I find those shops tend to be a bit higher, but quality and service is worth it. Be glad you found them in your grocery store...around here the meat clerks look at me in bewilderment and utter "try-what"?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spring Chicken,
    If you're a Costco member look for them in the "BULK PAK"
    Here in Calif. the bulk pak is $3.89 lb. The pak cost about $63 or so.[p]Cheers,
    Bordello

• TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    I had a butcher at Albertson's cut me a couple a few weeks back for $4.99 lb.

The Hulk
  • Jethro,[p]
    But I did down below..and I dont mind tellyin ya it hurt mine giant head somethin fierce[p]Stumpbaby

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Spring Chicken,[p]Generally can't find them in the DC area unless you ask specifically. The California chain, Trader Joe's, has them at about $5-6 a pound which is pretty close to your price. These cuts seem to be much more popular and available on the west coast.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Spring Chicken,
    Thanks guys. In the meantime I've been reading up on it and learned a bit more about what it is and why it is such a rarity. I'll try again at some of the more reasonably priced sources.[p]Spring "An Egg Saved Is An Egg Earned" Chicken

• NCEgger
    NCEgger Posts: 67
    Spring Chicken,[p]When on sale at the local Harris Teeter they are $3.99/lb. These are usually pre-packaged marinated tri-tips. They are still very good. I spoke to the butcher and he said they could cut me up one any day I called early in the morning.
  • Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Spring Chicken,
    Most butchers around McComb, Ms. didn't know what I was talking about, but new store in town, McComb Market (same owners as Natchez, Vidalia, Ferriday, Markets) butcher new about tri-tips and cut me one 3 1/2 # total costs $13 plus. I served that last nite and it was great. I more or less followed Grillin Bill's recipe off this site under beef. Did the 36 hr. marinade and his rub as described for 24 hrs.[p]I had previously purchased some in Jackson for over $6 per #.[p]Have a good Wednesday.[p]Ray

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    RRP,
    Ron. I bought a case of six tri-tips for $3.11 lb 6 weeks ago.
    Well marbled choice. It might be worth your while to give them a call.
    I think they may deliver in your area. A call can't hurt. They are located on the out skirts of Madison, Wisconsin.
    Bob

[ul][li]uw provisions[/ul]
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Painter,
    I forgot to mention I get them fresh not frozen although delivered may be different.
    Bob