Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to do Chili on the egg

Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]We are having a chili cookoff at the office next week, and I have a recipe that I really enjoy that I think would benefit from some time on the egg - we usually just use a crock pot. If I win this puppy, I'll be sure to post the recipe here. [p]I have to cook it on Tuesday night, then bring it into the office reheated for the "judges" on Wednesday morning for judging at 11am. I'll also be kindof short on time Tuesday night, as I don't get home til 6pm or so.[p]Can anyone please give me a setup that works for them on the egg for chili? I just want to add some smoke flavor for extra "uumph" - I don't necessarily need to do the whole cook outside, and can bring it back inside to the crockpot after a couple of hours once the smoke has done it's thing. I do have a large dutch oven available. How much time would you recommend? Temp? Direct vs indirect? Type and quantity of wood that you use? Anything else I'm missing?[p]Thanks again for the help as always![p]- Mike[p]

Comments

• Charcoal Mike,
    i do chili in the egg all the time. ...you can do a couple of different things to 'enhance' it with the egg. ..[p]1. depending on the kind of meat going into your chili, grill it on the egg in advance...a lot of times i'll use the 'tails' from whole beef tenderloins and sausage. . .i'll sprinkle a good dose of chili powder and sometimes dizzy cowlick on them, grill them direct, then cut them up and add them to the chili...then do as follows:[p]2. if you are just using ground meat, then mix up your chili in your dutch oven like you normally would. ..i then set up my egg indirect at around 325 degrees dome temp, with as much wood as i want, then put the open pot of chili on for anywhere from 2 - 3 hours. .. stirring it occasionally. ...the egg adds great flavor. ..[p]HTH

• Hey Max![p]Thanks for the reply.[p]My recipe uses 3 meats actually - hamburger, sausage (usually just Neese's Hot) and stew meat or sirloin tips cut small all browned in a pan with jalapeno juice plus onions and peppers. Of the three, I could probably slice the sausage and do on the egg, then crumble it up into the chili. [p]As for the wood - do you have a favorite type for chili? At home I believe I have mesquite, hickory, apple, and pecan. Do you add enough for it smoke the whole 2-3 hours? Or just a couple of fists to start and that's it?[p]Thanks![p]- Mike

• Charcoal Mike,
    personnaly i like hickory (or jack daniels chips) for tomato based chili... i don't think i'd go with mesquite (too strong a flavor) ...the cherry would probably be good too ...[p]you could always brown your meat in a pan in the egg. . .i use my cast iron skillet in there all the time. . .yes, you have to open and close the lid a lot, but it will still pick up smoke flavor if you want.... .

• Charcoal Mike,[p]Here is the link to how I did mine.[p]E
    [ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2005/messages/235888.htm[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    You guys are killing me with this Chili talk. 2 hours from lunch and no breakfast. Go ahead and post a photo and put me out of my missery...

• KennyGChili.jpg
    <p />Charcoal Mike,[p]I love cooking KennyG's chili on my small. I use a 5 quart dutch oven and two firebricks for an indirect cook. His recipe is linked below.[p]Enjoy![p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

[ul][li]KennyG's Chili[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    P10100042.jpg
    <p />Photo Egg,[p]
    This is Kenny G's Chili...with a few exceptions...(meat not pictured)! [p]You can find his recipe here on the forum...it's a great place to start, for shure!![p]Below:[p]Ingreadients saute'd and assembled...ready for a little "Field Trip"..out to Lil' Eggnacio'![p]P10100182.jpg[p]Just on with a little of Greg's guava wood...settling in for a couple hour "slow bubble"... as Nature Boy calls it![p]P10100202a.jpg[p]A couple later...[p]P10100292.jpg[p]Ok Darian...get your Bowl and meet me on the deck...[p]P10100322.jpg[p](appropriate cold ones available)!![p]Evans[p][p][p][p]

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby
    GrillMeister,[p]Someone needs to give you a lesson on Dutch oven cooking in [p]that Small!![p]Classes available..call BR-549!![p]Evans[p]PS...nice looking chili!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby,[p]So he's a great saxaphonist AND Chili cook? [p]Whoda known?
  • Chubby
    Dos Huevos,[p]Not bad..I like your quickness!![p]Are you comming to Fla?[p]I'm bringing the 'Lovely Wife...Ann"!![p]It sure would be fun to chat it up a little as I hardy got to meet you two in Atlanta!!
  • Chubby,
    I almost want to go home sick today just to cook up some chili. Great photos but painfull when I know my lunch choices are all bad here at work.
    What size egg are you brewing that chili on?

• Chubby,[p]Yeah, I use my GrateMates now, but that's an old pic with my fire bricks.[p]It's good to in town and egging.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Chubby
    GrillMeister,[p]I'll bet it is!![p]Traveling is fun...but your own pillow is goood too!![p]Nice to see you posting too, your "Public" is hungru for more GrillMeister!![p]Evans

• Chubby
    Photo Egg[p]Li'l Eggnacio...he's a Small!![p]Evans[p]
    PS...I forwarded your pic to the Naked one last week!![p]

• Chubby,
    Thanks again. 15 minutes and I'm off to Subway for lunch. If you could only see the excitement on my face you would bring me a bowl of chili out of pitty...
    Thanks for the photo bump of the train.
    Darian

• GrillMeister,
    Mine looks a lot like yours, probably because I used the same recipe +- a few twists and turns, including adding a few chunks of hickory to the fire. Turned out great and definitely something to do again, assuming I can do the twists and turns again. The hickory flavor really added a nice touch.[p]Chili2-5-06.jpg[p]I think one thing that gave it even more flavor is some taco meat with seasoning that we added in addition to the sausage and bacon and beef (cut into very small cubes). I think next time I may add about a half cup of bourbon just to take it to a higher level.[p]To each his own, after the basics.[p]Spring "Feel Like Wok'n Something" Chicken
    Spring Texaa USA

• Charcoal Mike,
    This worked out great.
    DSC00063.jpg[p]DSC00065.jpg[p]biggreenegg.jpg