Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib roast

Options
Truck 511
Truck 511 Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went over to the wahooeggers house for a birthday party yesterday and was treated to a great dinner. [p]
P2180311.jpg[p]P2180313.jpg[p]He was a little worried that 1lb / person would not be enough so we also cooked a nice 2 inch thick ribeye steak, but I don't have a picture of it.[p]There is no better side dish for a rib roast than a rib eye steak.

Comments

• Truck511, can you post the particulars of that rib roast cook, ie, pit temp and meat temp at removal? Those pictures have me salivating.

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Truck511,[p]That's one fantastic looking roast! Great job![p]BabyBoomBBQ
  • Wahooegger
    Options
    George,[p]It started out as a 4.74 lb boneless ribeye roast from Costco. We rubbed it down with EVOO and a heavy coating of kosher salt and cracked pepper followed, ala Mad Max, by a blizzard of herbes de provence.[p]I don't have a plate setter so I put a pizza stone, wrapped in heavy duty foil on the normal BGE grid with a drip pan on top of it. We then used three bricks to support a raised grid on which we placed a v rack. We got the BGE steady at around 310, threw on a fist sized chunk of hickory and put the roast on the v rack. The Egg went as high as 325 during the cook but generally stuck around 320. We left it on until it hit 118 internal (probably would pull a little earlier next time because it ended up a touch more done than I wanted) then completely opened up both vents of the BGE and removed the raised grid and pizza stone set up. [p]Temps quickly climed to around 500 and we (carefully) rotated the roast, setting each side down on the normal BEG grid, directly in the flames, for a minute or so to get a nice crust. Pulled it and wrapped it in foil while we cooked the steak and asparagus. I didn't actually check the temp. before we took pictures and ate. One of the best things about this cook is the prime rib sandwiches the next day with horseradish![p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    nice job!! ....another great way to have leftover prime rib, is in hash. . .i do it in my wok on the egg, but you can certainly do it up on the stove as well. . ..really simple[p]dice up potatoes and onions, saute em in butter/oil mix in a skillet or wok. ...once they have softened add in diced up prime rib and keep it all going till the potatoes are browned the way you like em . ..add a little salt and pepper while its all cooking. . .. makes a great main course meal. ...

• Truck 511
    Options
    Here is the steak side dish that I recommend accompany every meal.[p]Here is the action shot[p]P2180310.jpg[p]This is the 5 minute rest before eating.[p]P2180314.jpg
  • Wahooegger
    Options
    Truck511,
    And for the record, yes, that is a crack clean through my fire ring. Not sure when that happened.

• Wahooegger
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    That does sound really good. I'll be holding onto that post for next time. [p]The only problem with doing one of these roasts is that my dog pretty much gives up sleep and waits at the fridge until all scraps of it are gone.