Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter or Fire bricks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, [p]I'm fixing to purchase a BGE but I have a couple of questions I was hoping the more experienced could answer. I smoke meat alot and am really looking forward to giving the egg a run at smoking. I notice that alot people use the plate setter inverted throw a drip pan inside the plate setter and let it rip. Then there seems to be alot of others that use Fire Bricks for indirect head and half a brick to raise the second grate for cooking...[p]It seems to me that the plate setter would be much easier than messing with the bricks but there still seems to be alot using bricks. Can someone please spell out the differeces, pros/cons perhaps..?[p]Thanks you in advance and sorry for the long post...[p]

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Scoto, Firebricks=cheaper. Cooking=same. Eggsperiment=firebricks. Coolfactor=platesetter.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Scoto,
    Use the plate setter. Very versatile and much easier to deal with. You can use it legs up or down depending on what you are cooking. Legs up for indirect cooks such as ribs, brisket, etc., legs down for baking pizzas, bread, etc. and for cooking with a dutch oven....

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Scoto,
    I actually use both for different cooks and smokes, but what I really recommend is that it depends upon your track record on handling "stuff". If you are a slam/bam type of guy then you will soon see that those three legs will break easily. You have to be careful in handling a plate sitter. If you respect the piece it will serve you well!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Scoto, I have used both, the bricks seems to take up more space.

• Scoto,[p]There are several methods of indirect cooking on the Eggs and I use a different setup as well and get good results. I don't use firebricks or the plate setter in my indirect cooking.[p]18MVC-009E.jpg[p]This picture shows two turkey breasts sitting on the lower half of my contraption ready to go on the cooker. If you look close, you can see a deep pan with tapered sides under the meat. I do all my setup work in the kitchen and when the cooker is ready, I just carry it out and drop it into the cooker.[p]31MVC-003S.jpg[p]This picture shows me setting up a cook for ten large pork steaks in the kitchen with my second grid. The grid on the right just sits over the lower part of the contraption for this two level cook. It is adjustable in height. Another nice feature is that is is very easy to service your meat with this setup. On this type of cook, I like to apply a glaze just before the meat is done and I just lift off the top grid and set it aside, brush on the glaze for the lower level, place the top grid back on the contraption, and brush the glaze on the top level of meat. [p]15MVC-015E.jpg[p]This picture shows a couple of pork butts over a brisket just before I carried it out and dropped it into the cooker.[p]22MVC-012E.jpg[p]Figured I had better show you a picture of my unit on the cooker. This is drbbq's corn casserole over a layer of chicken breasts on the lower level. [p]Anyway, this might be another option for you to consider as it does work great for my method of cooking. [p]Dave
  • Old Dave, So the lowest grid (which is the smallest diameter)goes on the ring above the fire box right? Are we talking about a large BGE? And all of this fits under the dome? Wow! Lots of capacity.

• R&R,[p]The lowest grid is the BGE Grid Extender and no, it does not fit on the fire ring. It is used for the drip pan and to support the unit when it is out of the cooker. The lower cooking grid or center grid does sit on the fire ring so it is in the same position as the standard grid in the cooker. I usually keep the upper grid adjusted to set about level with the dome opening in the cooker unless I am doing 6 turkey breasts and then I have it about 1-1/2" above the dome opening to give me enough room on the lower grid.[p]And yes, the pictures are from a large BGE but I also have a setup for the small and mini although I am still working on the mini setup.[p]Capacity is a funny word as compared to any cooker. It is not how much you can get into the cooker but how much you can get into the cooker and still get a good cook. Big difference!! About the max for my setup is around 34 pounds of butts and or briskets, 10 slabs of loin backs if you use rib racks, two 10 pound meat loaves, 6 whole chickens or 6 turkey breasts, 14 pounds of wet jerky meat in the stack and pile method, 6 chuck roasts or other beef roasts, and some other combo's. I will include one more picture of some butts that did weigh about 34 pounds just before they went into the cooker and this cook will feed 65 people so you can cook for a group in the large Egg. Picture was taken before I added the drip pan.[p]Dave[p]24MVC-008E.jpg[p]

• Also note that the platesetter is NOT available for the small egg.
    rb
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Scoto,[p]if you have the $40 (or so), get the plate setter[p]Woody54
  • Old Dave,[p]
    Thanks for the pictures, looks like exactly what I could use for smoking, I was considering the xlarge egg but after seeing that, I know I don't need it..[p]You mind sharing how you made that setup, and does the middle level set on the edge where the normal cooking grid would be..[p]Thanks again all..[p]_Scoto

• Scoto,[p]Yes, the middle level which I call the lower cooking grid does set where the standard grid goes and that is on top of the fire ring.[p]Be more than happy to share the details with you but wouldn't have the foggiest idea of where to send it since you did not use an e-mail address. Send me a note and I will get you fixed up.[p]Dave

• Old Dave,[p]
    Thanks, I added my email to this reply and I'll add it here as well. rockybmk@cox.net[p]Thanks again for you help...[p]_Scoto