Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomorrow is the big day!!!

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
I finally finished all my Nature Glo and Royal Oak. Now onto Rockwood!!

Thinking I'm gonna do a chicken. They really absorb charcoal flavor. Probably one of those deboned and stuffed ones.
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good luck with the chicken, I haven't built up the courage yet!  I also hope to get my hands on some Rockwood, hopefully soon.  Not easy to come by here in Canada, and after emailing with @stlcharcoal, sounds like it might be awhile before they are caught up on orders and can send me a pallet. It sounds like great lump, hope it works our for you.
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    You will love RW... Went to Firecraft earlier this week, Ozark Oak was on back order. So I picked up a few bags of RW. I like the ease of the OO 10# bags for handling and storage reasons; but I think that OO and RW are neck and neck as far as the top lump
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    I finally finished all my Nature Glo and Royal Oak. Now onto Rockwood!! Thinking I'm gonna do a chicken. They really absorb charcoal flavor. Probably one of those deboned and stuffed ones.

Well you might as well practice on a bird again. You didn't win a MAJOR. Award my friend =)) did I say it was a MAJOR award? So what's the best lump to use. I'm new to this fourm. Haven't had time to do any research on lump yet.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I finally finished all my Nature Glo and Royal Oak. Now onto Rockwood!! Thinking I'm gonna do a chicken. They really absorb charcoal flavor. Probably one of those deboned and stuffed ones.

Well you might as well practice on a bird again. You didn't win a MAJOR. Award my friend =)) did I say it was a MAJOR award? So what's the best lump to use. I'm new to this fourm. Haven't had time to do any research on lump yet.
    I think that voting was rigged!  I want a recount!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

On to your question on which lump is best ....

I really think lump is personal preference.

I loved my webers with kingsford blue bag.  That to me smells like grilling.  I started using Royal Oak in my WSM because I could get the heat higher than kingsford for smoking chicken.  I like chicken cooked over 300.  I thought RO was fancy stuff.  Little did I know.  I still prefer KBB for hotdogs (only on my webers).

Then when I got my XL it came with a bag of Nature Glo.  I know people say it is the same as Royal Oak, but my personal experience says otherwise.  The bags of Royal Oak I have used definitely had some odd smells when it started to light.  I usually let it go for an hour before I ut food on.  The Nature Glo seemed to light just as easily but did not have all the odd scents going on at lighting.  I only let that go for 30 minutes or so before the smoke smelled clean.  They both seemed to burn for the same times and temp.  The RO seemed to have a little more "flavor" to the smoke when done.  That is not always better/worse.  Depends on the situation.

The second time lighting the lump (cooks on lump lit before) I could not tell a difference and it was ready sooner.

YMMV, but that was my personal experience.  I am looking forward to trying RW.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Lump is like religion and politics around here. Naked whiz has some good reviews. I prefer rock wood because it's very neutral and you can control the smoke profile. FOGO is dense and good for L&S but has more flavor. Find one you like for your go to and experiment where you can.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    <:-P
    Seattle, WA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ok, I've run into a problem. How do you tell when the fire goes out? There is no smoke. I don't mean like a little smoke, I mean like NO smoke. No wisp, no nothin'. image
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    isn't grand? so neutral....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

isn't grand? so neutral....

It is certaintly neutral. It didn't even make me smell like smoke. All you could smell was the food.

Better not let politicians in Cali find out. They will say RW or nothing for californians.

• JonWesson
    Options
    bump
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Tom Hanks Forrest Gump GIF - TomHanks ForrestGump Wave - Discover
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    🤤