Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Size??

Bama Egger
Bama Egger Posts: 137
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg and was wondering what is the best size to get that fits in the egg plus can cook enough food. I usually don't go overboard cooking predominately just for family and some friends. I want to get a Lodge but which is better 5 or 7 qt? Does the leg or no legs matter when sitting on the grid?[p]Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• Paul,
    Please send me an email address. TIA

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Paul,[p]If you plan to use it on the Egg I would recommend going with out the legs. I have one with the legs and typically set it one a pizza stone that is setting on the grid.[p]What are you planning to cook up in that DO?[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Paul,
    i use the lodge 12inch deep with the legs. you will need a pizza stone to put under it as it wont sit on the grill with the legs. i also use the lecreuset in the egg and i like it better.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman, When you use your Le Creuset on the egg, does it discolor?

• Paul,
    I just bought the 5 qt and it's plenty big enough for us and cooking on my new small BGE. But if I was feed'n a bunch of hongry types I'd probably go larger. Still might because I also got a Food Saver. My first attempt at anything (chili) was a great success.

Chili2-5-06.jpg[p]Like the wok, I'm thinking the Dutch Oven is a good tool to have.[p]Spring "Learning By Doing" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Paul,
    This coming weekend, Ace hardware is having a sale of 20% off for any thing you can get in the bag. I am going to buy a dutch oven I saw last weekend. It sales for $30 regular and now I am going to get it 20% off. [p]Chef Jerry

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Saucy Sue,
    it cleans up just as good as new. let it soak for about 15 minutes in hot soapy water and it wipes clean. the problem with the lodge ovens has been that if you use anything acidic in there, you will remove that nonstick seasoning and will be doing it over. its not really a big deal to reseason cast iron, but during a long cook with any type of tomato base, i get that iron flavor in my food. the lecrueset is better for this. dont put the cover in the egg though, i dont trust that plastic handle to stand up

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jethro,[p]Chili, brunswick stew most likely will be the first two.[p]Paul