Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Sous vide Turkey Breast Roll - juicy juicy juicy

Options
Here is another SV cook that was photo worthy recently.  Well the first time I didn't photograph but I made it again the next day since it was so good I had to!

Started with a bone in/skin on turkey breast.  Quick knife work and the bone was history.

On the meat side I seasoned with BGE BBQ seasoning and a packet of Bovril Chicken Gravy mix (both of these have a bit of MSG/Yeast Extracts/Nucleotides) so they enhance flavours.  I put some fresh herbs on top and rolled.  The seasoned breast was rolled tightly in plastic film to form an even shaped log

The plastic wrapped roll goes into the vacuum bag...

Into the water bath at 140'F

After cooking for 3 hours I patted dry and seared in a pan with a little oil and my blow torch

The finished product was super juicy and delicious.  Made great cold cuts and also did it with a mushroom pan gravy.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Looks good - is there ever any concern with putting plastic wrap in the bath?  I am referring to the BPA stuff . . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    @NDG - I saw a video once where a chef was making Porcetta di Testa (rolled pig's head) and he wrapped it tightly in plastic film before going into the sous vide.

He did multiple layers but I did one and then vac sealed.

That plus the notion that microwaved food gets much hotter than 140 and the plastic film is in contact with the food there - I felt it is a very low risk.  (I am using Glad Cling wrap, BPA/PVC free stuff).

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• NDG
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @bigwader  . . .I just dropped (2) 2.5 LB boneless turkey breasts in the water.  I am following your exact recipe but I will finish on the BGE cast iron grate at 500F.  I imagine I will have lots of good juices in the bag when the SV cook is done, so can you tell me more about how you made your pan gravy?

THANKS!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nice, it's my favourite way to day turkey breast and leg roulades.  Bought three turkeys after Christmas @ 75 cents/lb, deconstructed them all for bones for stock, minced turkey, and multiple logs of breast and leg roulades... great workout for my chamber sealer.  Can just throw a log in SV anytime! 
    @NDG I use the plastic film all the time, at 140-150'ish I'm not too concerned. I know in commercial kitchens they wrap food pans with plastic film before covering with foil, to prevent foil from discolouring, and that's in super heated ovens!
    canuckland
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited January 2015
    Options

@NDG - I will be anxious to hear how you like it.  Sorry for the late reply.  I found there wasn't much liquid in the bags (I dropped in ice to chill the second one for a weeknight meal).

The gravy I did make I used sliced porcini mushrooms, smashed garlic and fresh thyme.  I sautéed the mushrooms in butter/EVOO that I fried the garlic in to infuse.  Then I added about 2 cups chicken stock and fresh thyme, salt and black pepper and reduced it. As it was reducing I sprinkled some flour and whisked to make a kind of roux.  When it reduced to the thickness I wanted I plated and put slices of the turkey on top.

@Canugghead.  I did that last year with turkeys after Easter.  Will probably do the same this year since it makes a huge amount of really good meat for not much money.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• NDG
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @bigwader . . you are right about two things: 1) not much liquid in the SV bag 2) the finished turkey was juicy juicy juicy!  Seared on the BGE and got some excellent color/flavor.

We just chopped up for a salad (duplicate of the famous "1905 Salad" from The Columbia - recipe below) but looking forward to tonights dinner which should showcase the turkey a little more.  Thanks for posting your process . . . very good!
    Columbus, OH