Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating an egret ham for work?

Options
Hello all. So after cooking two Egret Hams over the holidays and raving about it at work I was finally convinced to make one for my cohorts. I plan to cook it on Sunday and bring it up to work on Monday. My plan is to cut it up Sunday night and then reheat it in a crock pot at work on Monday for lunch. What I want to avoid is having it dry out before serving. Should I put some type of liquid in the crock pot to help with moisture and avoid drying? Better serving method? There is no oven at work.

Comments

• Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've done three recently. For one I wrapped in some foil and put in oven on warm. I was trying to avoid drying out. For most of the leftovers I ate it cold... It's so tasty works great cold. :)

Maybe others will have advice heating it up at work. My guess (haven't tried) would be crock on low or keep warm. With the goal of just getting it up above room temp.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    rholt said:
    Hello all. So after cooking two Egret Hams over the holidays and raving about it at work I was finally convinced to make one for my cohorts. I plan to cook it on Sunday and bring it up to work on Monday. My plan is to cut it up Sunday night and then reheat it in a crock pot at work on Monday for lunch. What I want to avoid is having it dry out before serving. Should I put some type of liquid in the crock pot to help with moisture and avoid drying? Better serving method? There is no oven at work.
    Interesting question! Thank you for raising it! I know I for one will be following the replies! Question though... was this a spiral cut ham or a true injected one piece ham? I think my question raised makes a bigger difference in the reheating method to achieve perfection more than what some other people might! I'd really hate to have Egrets ham recipe get a bad reputation! Know what I mean Vern? LOL!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Why would you want to cook an Egret? :))
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Ha. Well It is just your standard pre cook spiral sliced ham RRP. I know that when I would eat the ham leftovers I would just nuke it till just warm to avoid drying. Not sure if putting some liquid in with it would help or hinder it. Ham by nature drys out big time once you start slicing it up so I want to avoid that for sure. I know that in the past people have put soda or apple juice in a crock pot to reheat pulled pork. Thoughts?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    i would put some liquid in with that, maybe some gingerale mixed with some of egrets rub to keep the flavor profile
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    That's the same way I reheat bald eagles and it stays moist
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.