Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did my first baking on the egg yesteday ... Pumpkin Bread.

Smoked Signals
Smoked Signals Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A school project for my daughter ... she made Puritan Pumpkin Bread and decided not to use the oven. She asked if we could bake it on the egg ... so began my first baking eggsperiment. Turned out pretty good, just a little bit smokey. I couldn't seem to get a clean fire until about the 1 hour and 20 minute mark(we put the bread in at 45 minutes). Anyway, she and I were both supprised that it turned out and was pretty decent. She should get an A for not using anything electric and making an edible sweet bread the way they did in 1640. [p]How long do you have to wait for a smoke free fire? I had to maintain the fire at about 390 to keep the smoke down. Of course this is the egg that I do all my catering BBQ on and it hasn't been this hot in probably a year. Maybe I should do a few pizza's to burn it out good? [p]Doug

Comments

• Smoked Signals,
    I've found the Egg to be ideal for baking. Here are some biscuits I made a couple of years ago. They were fantastic with no hint of smoke flavor.[p]Biscuits7-18-04.jpg[p]I also bake a wonderful peach cobbler, and those pop-open canned biscuits are better than ever when cooked on the Egg.[p]Spring "Hongry Fer A Bisket" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Smoked Signals,
    I had the same problem this weekend making pizza, couldn't get a clean burn for over an hour. Took a wiff of the smoke and realized it was coming from old greese build up burning on my platesetter. Normally it doesn't see temps over 350 and 500 was enough to get it burning. I had a brand new platesetter so I swapped them and had clear heat coming out in minutes. -RP

• Spring Chicken,[p]Great looking biscuits but I wonder why you baked them on the Egg if you didn't want that great light smoke flavor? Didya loose an element in the kitchen oven? [p]Dave

• Old Dave,
    Even though there was some leftover smoking wood in the Egg it didn't make it into the biscuits. However, that delightful unique flavor that results naturally from charcoal cooking managed to give a hint of flavor that a regular gas or electric oven just can't produce. The biscuits were light and fluffy but held together extremely well while spreading butter or jelly on them. [p]Spring "Biscuit Eat'n" Chicken

• Spring Chicken,[p]I sure couldn't agree with you more as a clean burning lump fire is all you neeed for a great flavor in baking. I guess I didn't understand when you said you did the bake with no smoke flavor and the lump to me if it is burning clean is a wood smoke flavor and that is what I am looking for in my bakes. I always want just a hint of lump smoke flavor in all my baking. [p]Sorry bout that and I will try to do better the next time.[p]Dave

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Smoked Signals,
    Pizza's will burn out the firebox clean- after baking 4 pizza's in a row my firebox and firering sides were creamy white. Still, I'll start with a fresh load of new lump on bread baking day for a clean burn. I'll get my fire going and let'er settle in at 450 dome for about 45 minutes before the first loaf goes in.[p]Nice work with your daughters pumpkin bread!
    Clay