Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chili

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to make some chili on my large bge
I have never attepted that before
can some one give me some pointers on how to make some realy good chili
I also want to enter a chili cook off at a morale booster where I work
Please help if you can, I would like to earn some braggin rites if you know what I mean
Thanks In advance[p]Glenn

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Glenn in Florida,[p]I used this recipe that I think came from GrillMeister but I made a few changes.[p]Chili2-5-06.jpg[p]"Here's the base recipe. This will provide 4 hearty servings and will double, triple, and quadruple nicely for company and larger crowds. I made a triple batch for EggFest. [p]1 large can (28 oz.) seasoned diced tomatoes and liquid (Muir Glen brand is the best that I've found), any brand will do. (I used Kroger store brand and it was fine)
    2 cans (14 oz. each) chili beans and liquid - mild or hot or one of each (I like Bush's but have had good luck with Joan of Ark, Libbeys, and the supermarket's house brand)(I used Kroger store brand for this too)
    1 lb. ground meat or sausage. (ground chuck, sirloin in any fat/lean combination, leftover sausage, etc. I used a 2:1 ratio of ground meat and spicy pork sausage in ATL. (I used a pound of sausage, a pound of beef stew meat cut up into very small chunks, and a half pound of ground hamburger taco-meat leftovers)
    2-3 strips bacon (I cut mine up into smaller pieces)
    3 medium cloves of garlic run through a garlic press.
    1 large or 2 small onions, medium chop (Vidalia or Texas sweet, Maui, etc)
    2 T. chili powder (McCormick is fine or something better)
    1 T. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 squirt Hershey's chocolate syrup or equivalent
    Splash of Balsamic Vinegar
    Splash of Tabasco sauce or your favorite
    1 tsp. oregano
    2 T. general purpose BBQ rub (Lysanders, Bilardo Bros, Dizzy Dust, etc) (I used Dizzy Pig Jamacan Firewalk)
    6oz. beef broth or better yet - beer or fruity red wine (use the cheap
    stuff)
    1 large dried chili pepper - pasilla (wimpy) Chipotle (hotter) pequin
    (hotter yet) Scotch bonnet or Habenero (five alarm)
    Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
    Wood chunks - I used hickory, mesquite and pecan in ATL (I just used hickory and it really added a nice flavor)[p]Preparation: [p]Preheat your Egg to 275-300�
    Open tomato and bean cans and dump into appropriately sized "chili pot",
    deep Corningware casserole dish, metal stockpot, cast iron Dutch oven, etc.
    Fry bacon extra crisp in a non stick skillet and remove and crumble into chili pot.
    Use bacon drippings to brown ground meat or sausage seasoning with salt and
    pepper as you go. Halfway through the browning process, add onions and garlic, drain grease and dump contents into chili pot. Float your dried chili(s) on top.
    Add in all remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly to incorporate well.
    Cook on the Egg with smoking chunks, placing chilipot on a pizza stone or other "thermal barrier". (I didn't use a thermal barrier but instead set the pot on a GrillMate Ring) This allows the chili to heat slowly and pick up more smoke flavor. Stir and taste every 20 minutes or so. Remove the dried pepper when you have the heat you might be looking for. Monitor the chili temp with an instant read thermo or Polder. At about 140� internal and 1.5 to 2 hours, remove the thermal barrier. With the pot directly over the heat now, it should come up to almost a boil in about 30 more minutes. [p]Serve with thinly sliced green onions and grated cheddar cheese on top. (I didn't do this)[p]It will taste even better the next day, of course. (Very true)"[p]We will make it again for sure.[p][p]I haven't made this one but it sounds good.[p] CHAMPIONSHIP CHILI

BY JERRY KINNEY[p]
    3 TSP ..................... WESSON OIL
    1 1/2 ..................... MED ONION (CHOPPED)
    1 ......................... MED GREEN PEPPER (CHOPPED)
    1 ......................... LG RIB CELERY (CHOPPED)
    1 ......................... SM CLOVE GARLIC (MINCED)
    1/2 TSP ................... FRESH JALAPENO PEPPER (CHOPPED)
    2 LBS ..................... EXTRA LEAN GROUND ROUND
    2 LBS ..................... ROUND STEAK CUT IN 1/4 IN CUBES
    8 TBSP .................... CHILI POWDER
    1 TBSP .................... CUMIN (GROUND)
    2 TSP ..................... GARLIC SALT
    1/4 TSP ................... TABASCO PEPPER SAUCE
    SALT & PEPPER (TO TASTE)
    8 OZ ...................... BEER
    1 1/4 CUPS ................ WATER
    1 CAN (14 1/2 OZ) ......... STEWED TOMATOS
    1 CAN (8 OZ) .............. TOMATO SAUCE
    1 CAN (6 OZ) .............. TOMATO PASTE
    1 CAN (4 OZ) .............. ORTEGA DICED GREEN CHILES
    1 ......................... BAY LEAF[p]1) HEAT OIL AND SAUTE FIRST FIVE INGREDIENTS UNTIL ONION IS
    TRANSPARENT.[p]2) ADD MEAT AND COOK UNTIL MEAT LOOSES ITS REDNESS.[p]3) COMBINE CHILI POWDER, CUMIN, GARLIC SALT, TABASCO SAUCE,
    SALT & PEPPER WITH BEER. LET MIXTURE STAND FOR APPROX 15
    MINUTES.[p]4) ADD BEER & SPICE MIXTURE, WATER, STEWED TOMATOS, TOMATO
    SAUCE, TOMATO PASTE, GREEN CHILES, AND BAY LEAF TO MEAT
    MIXTURE.[p]5) SIMMER ON LOW HEAT IN A COVERED POT FOR THREE HOURS,
    STIRRING OFTEN, REMOVE BAY LEAF BEFORE SERVING. [p]Good Luck[p]Spring "Chili Eat'n" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA[p]
  • smokeydrew
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]I believe the recipe originated from KennyG. I use it 2-3 times a year and love it.[p]Just trying to give credit where credit is due. [p]-smokeydrew
  • Spring Chicken,
    What is a grill mate ring??

• Banker John
    Options
    glenn in florida,
    Are you attending the Florida Eggfest?

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    glenn in florida,
    I'm sorry, I should have shown you a photo. It's actually a part from Chubby's GrateMate set. But here's a photo. [p]GrateMateRing.jpg[p]Also, you asked about cooking chili on a large. I was using a small Egg.[p]Spring "Slow Day In The Coop" Chicken

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    Glenn in Florida,
    Here's a link to my recipe for chili. If you have an aversion to pork or can't eat it for other reasons, I have also used a cheaper cut of steak. With steak, I give it a quick T-Rex treatment then cut it into cubes. [p]This stuff is pretty good and gets rave reviews when I take it to pot-luck dinners. Of course, when the next best thing is something dumped from a can into a crock pot, anything from the egg is good!

[ul][li]FatDog Smoked Pork Chili[/ul]