Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best salmon ever!

Options
Buzilo
Buzilo Posts: 185
edited January 2015 in Baking
Wild salmon - indirect heat.

1. Wash salmon fillet with cold water, use paper towel to dry
2. Mix 2.5 cups of brown sugar + .5 cup of kosher salt and place all over salmon fillet in tupperware. - leave over night
Next day:
3. Wash all filet with cold water and dry with paper towel. Leave out for 30 min and put some rub of your choice ( I used honey rub deez nuts)
4. Soak cedar plank for 30 min - 1 hr and cherry smoking wood chips.
5. Pre heat egg 375 for 20-30 min - indirect - plate setter legs up with grill on top. Throw in wood chips & place ceder plank with salmon in the egg. 40 min later this is what you get.

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Very nice. Thanks for adding all the details. Looks better than some of the salmon chunks I've bought from fish markets.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Nice post. Nice cook. ^:)^
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I like. I will have to try this.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    That sounds awesome! Gonna have to try your "best salmon ever" recipe. 
    I'm a newbee with salmon.  As unbelievable as it seems, I cooked and ate salmon for the very first time last week. Now I'm in love with salmon.
    I can't wait to try your method. Salmon is my new favorite food. And it's healthy too, right?
    Could possibly be the most rewarding cook of my nine years cooking on teh egg.
    Here's a couple pics from that cook.
    imageimageimage
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Buzilo
    Options
    That looks really good, the over night cure using brown sugar and kosher salt is something that I would recommend even if you don't smoke and bake the salmon. Looks like you used Jamm and butter in a cast iron pan. Looks yummy!

Salmon is great, I cook a lot of it and we eat it through out the week with different meals. Just don't ever heat it up in the oven or it will dry out.
  • stemc33
    Options
    Very nice @TigerTony‌. If you try the recipe @Buzilo‌ posted, don't forget the rinse part. Been there, done that with a brine before. Not good.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Yes Stemc33 is absolutely right, it happened to me. Rinse thoroughly.
  • TigerTony
    Options
    @Buzilo‌ @stemc33‌ -- Now I'm gonna double rinse ;)
    Thanks for posting, I bookmarked and will cook it soon.
    New Orleans

• Buzilo
    Options
    Another option is melted Jamm in the last 5 minutes, you brush over and let it carimilize. I personally tried both and like the rub at the beginning for 30 minutes as it soaks into the salmon and you can really taste it inside the salmon with every bite. I think the Jamm is great too but you can taste it on the skin and not inside the salmon. Just saying.
  • TigerTony
    Options
    I'm dedicated in changing to a healthier diet. We plan on eating more nutritional foods.
    More fish and vegetables. Salmon will fit in our menu just perfectly.
    New Orleans

• motowfo
    motowfo Posts: 32
    Options
    I applaud a healthier diet... Honey (local of course) and maybe a little Bourbon (alcohol burns off) as a final glaze??  OK I said applaud !! :-)

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    TigerTony said:

I'm dedicated in changing to a healthier diet. We plan on eating more nutritional foods.
    More fish and vegetables. Salmon will fit in our menu just perfectly.

Try Mahi mahi too if you can find it. Cooks very similarly.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Oh, forgot to say excellent looking salmon @Buzilo‌ and @TigerTony‌
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Looks and sounds delicious! May I add a trick about salmon I learned from Chris at Dizzy Pig? It makes even salmon haters love it. Instead of leaving that silver skin on even though after cooking the salmon the skin comes off easily - BUT the trick is cut off the skin while still raw! Why? Once you remove the skin you will see there is a dark brown vein that runs down the middle. That mud vein or blood vein when cooked leaves a distinct strong taste in the salmon. Once skinned just take a sharp fillet knife and cut a thin wedge out removing the brown strip. There is little waste, but there is such a BIG difference in the finished taste. Like I said even salmon haters will love it! I have a picture, but PhotoBucket isn't working for me tonight. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    After 54 years of "healthy diet" resolutions, successfully swept aside after a short time, I much insist you guys go with what tastes good; fatty, greasy, salty, wonderful food, as much as you want, and you'll all be just f

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Botch said:
    After 54 years of "healthy diet" resolutions, successfully swept aside after a short time, I much insist you guys go with what tastes good; fatty, greasy, salty, wonderful food, as much as you want, and you'll all be just f

I see what you did there >:)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Add rum or whiskey to the brown sugar, and some salt.  I cure salmon with that mixture.   But then I cold smoke it and eat it raw like Russian bear, with growling noises.
    Options
    RRP said:
    Looks and sounds delicious! May I add a trick about salmon I learned from Chris at Dizzy Pig? It makes even salmon haters love it. Instead of leaving that silver skin on even though after cooking the salmon the skin comes off easily - BUT the trick is cut off the skin while still raw! Why? Once you remove the skin you will see there is a dark brown vein that runs down the middle. That mud vein or blood vein when cooked leaves a distinct strong taste in the salmon. Once skinned just take a sharp fillet knife and cut a thin wedge out removing the brown strip. There is little waste, but there is such a BIG difference in the finished taste. Like I said even salmon haters will love it! I have a picture, but PhotoBucket isn't working for me tonight. 
    Here's the picture!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stemc33
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nice tip @RRP‌. That's my least favorite (don't like) part. I always eat around it.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Nice post and cook. I love salmon. I buy western white cedar shake shingles at my lumber yard for about $ 26 a bundle. That's enough for about 3 years.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Lots of good info in this thread. Bookmarked!

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Have my directions wrong. Eastern
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    Add rum or whiskey to the brown sugar, and some salt.  I cure salmon with that mixture.   But then I cold smoke it and eat it raw like Russian bear, with growling noises.
    Damn that sounds good. How long do you let it sit for?
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • Buzilo
    Options
    RRP - that is a really good tip I am going to do that next time. Nolaegghead, I am going to try the rum thing as well... great idea but I assume you are talking about dark rum as it is sweeter?

Golfandgrill, I usually let the salmon cure overnight in the fridge. Once I wash it with cold water I let it sit for 30-45 minutes in open air to dry, this creates a type of film on the skin which allows the smoke from the wood chips and the charcoal to adhere.