Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow forum, dough, and the experiment du jour

Options
Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The forum has been a little quiet, lateley. In northeast Fla, it feels cold enough to hibernate, so I can only imagine that most of the rest of the country might be asleep (or preparing to go camping--yikes!).[p]Thanks for all the input on homemade dough and pizzas. I'm off to the store for supplies so that I can experiment tonight. Several family members are coming to town next weekend and I'm working on the menu. They've never had egged food. So...[p]Night one...Pizzas! With either Publix dough or homemade depending on today's results.
Night two...I think NB's Ginger Lime Chicken skewers. I was out of Tsunami Spin, but have remedied that sad situation.
Night three...big fat juicy steaks. Stuffed shrooms, too.
Night four...open for suggestions[p]What should I prepare for their last supper? Not fish; maybe pork, but I'm not sure. They like chicken a lot...maybe thighs w/cornstarch.[p]Your thoughts...?

Comments

• Stieet
    Stieet Posts: 19
    Options
    Trouble,
    WDJD?
    Bread and wine?

• Trouble
    Options
    Bruce,
    "WDJD?" What's that?[p]

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Trouble,[p]Yes, it has been slow around here. If they like chicken, how about a beer can chicken? They are always a crowd pleaser. There's always my Blackened Tip Tip too. If they are into Tex Mex, Pork Tederloin with Apple Chipolte sauce is great too.
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Trouble,[p]How about some of those smashed chicken roll-ups?[p]E
  • Trouble
    Options
    Trouble,
    which way do I go? which way do I go?[p]Thanks for the great suggestions. I haven't tried the smashed chicken rollups, yet, nor have I blackened the tri-tip, though I love the cut. Hmmmm....yes, I'll probably do one of these.[p]thanks, guys.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    100_0305.jpg
    <p />Trouble,
    some chili rellenos would go nice with that tritip. wish that were a tritip

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I need the ingredients to those chili rellenos!
    Thanks,
    MakoBBQ

• Trouble
    Options
    makoBBQ,
    They look great, don't they.[p]Here is a post from the archives, not fishlessman's but they look similar (the photo was elsewhere in the thread--you can follow it back to the photo by clicking on the "in reply to" links).

[ul][li]rellenos[/ul]
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    P9180043.jpg
    <p />Trouble, [p]I rolled the chicken the short way and the long way. The shorter and fatter rollups kept more of the cheese inside. Make sure you use the thin sliced bacon if you choose to do the roll-ups.[p]E[p]
    P9190044.jpg

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    makoBBQ,
    these were all veggatables, but some pulled pork in there doesnt hurt

[ul][li]rellanos[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Trouble
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Those taters look really good.[p]On the chicken--let's suppose for a moment that the guests like to stay on the leaner side of meats--chicken is great, but bacon might push it a little. Do you think they'll get dried out if I go without the bacon? Mad Max would say "proscuitto!" but it gets too dry for me on the outside.[p]Man, those potatoes look good.[p]J

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Thanks, they look great. I may try them this weekend.

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Trouble,[p]You know there is ham and cheese inside. As far as the outside - If you didn't want to use the bacon, I think you could use just some olive oil. Now that I think about it you may even want to try the corn starch to get a crispy out side. It would be just like a Cordon Blue.[p]Potatoes (a.k.a. U.P. Potatoes):[p]1. Wash and slice in half, then dry.
    2. Butter both the cut side and the skin side.
    3. Coat both sides with Celery salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
    4. Bake on cookie sheet @ 350 for about an hour to an hour and a half. (I have never done it on an egg, but I am sure it would be great. This is the reason I need another Egg.) :o)
    - The cut side should get golden and crispy. The skin side will be crispy too.
    5. Serve with sour cream, bacon, shredded sharp cheddar, and sliced green onions.[p]E

• Trouble
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Excellent idea. Cornstarch it is. I usually do chicken breasts direct, raised. But I think I'll do this more gently and go indirect at about 300. Better have some nice sauce handy, just in case.[p]Thanks for the potato recipe. I thought they were twice baked (this way is much easier).[p]I think I have a menu! (darn, they'll have to come again if they want tri-tip).[p]again, many thanks.[p]Joyce

• MasterMason
    Options
    Trouble,[p]WDJD probably is what did Jesus do, you said it was for their last supper.....

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Trouble,
    I stuff my chicken with some sauted mushrooms, onions, garlic, salt, & pepper. Sometimes I will blanch asparagus tips to put in the middle. LOl, Tom

• Trouble
    Options
    Master Mason,
    Ah, thank you.[p]We call their last night here the last supper because when they leave, they're flying from Florida back home to Cleveland. In February. Last supper, I tell ya.[p]J