Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Burritos

Options
Smoked Signals
Smoked Signals Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I used taco seasoning and a little h20 with left over pulled pork for a very tasty burrito last night. I highly recommend it if you are in need of a new pulled pork taste/use.[p]Sorry no pictures .. they were both gone too quickly.[p]

Comments

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]We did nachos with pulled brisket and they were to die for. I made a couple of soft tacos too, and they ruled. I was immediately mad that I hadn't brought any of my fresh pulled pork over to try some pulled pork tacos.[p](Man, does that last sentence sound dirty...)
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    I wonder how it would taste to rub a pork butt with taco seasoning and go that route??? Could make some really tasty tacos, buritos, nachos, etc....

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Dos Huevos
    Options
    Squeeze,[p]I'm guessing it would be pretty danged awesome. [p]
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    Squeeze,
    Do I hear Dizzy Pig Taco Dust coming???? I call right's on the first sample of that stuff. [p]I might have to try that experiment with a small inexpensive butt.[p]Doug

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Squeeze,[p]I study a lot of Mexican and Southwest food and plan to do a butt like that. Here’s my current plan in case anyone wants to help me think this through:[p]Make a seasoning paste with dried peppers, dry roasted garlic, stock, Mexican oregano, cumin and/or clove. Next, use the paste to create a strongly flavored brine or injection. Brine the butt for 24 hours or inject and apply paste then marinate for 24 hours or so. [p]Cook L/S like a regular butt. I’m vacillating on the best wood to try. Since it’s a Southwest/Mexican flavor we are looking for, I’m thinking Mesquite. A couple of Mexicans I know have mentioned Pinion wood, but that’s like pine and the threat of resin taste makes me want to skip it. [p]I’m supposed to make a batch of Spicy Ancho Seasoning paste this week. So, I may see if I can get a 3 to 4 pound butt to test this on. Hum, maybe a version of Pulled Beef seasoned like this would hit the spot. In fact, I think I’ll get a chuck at the same time to try both.

• BabyBoomBBQ ,
    Why not just use a good beer to inject or brine, be sure to buy several to test also, and save the other ideas for the rub or paste, chipole peppers make a nice flavor, as mentioned earlier a good prepackaged taco seasoning might help.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    13340029.jpg
    <p />BabyBoomBBQ ,[p]I use PP for my tamale filling and have tried both dry Mexican seasonings & chili pastes on the butts. They do add to the flavor but by the time I add the other seasonings during the cookdown and do either a broth reduction or add a mole sauce I can't tell the difference between cooking it with just salt & pepper. The injection sounds interesting, let us know what you try and how it works out.[p]I do use mesquite lump, but not mesquite chunks. What really adds to the overall smoke flavor is returning pans of shreaded pork to the cooker for a little while before mixing in seasonings and liquids.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • For those of you wanting a Mexican slant to L&S pork, check out a recipe for Cochinita Pibil from southern Mexico. I did one once and it was reallly great.