Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Smokin Dog
Smokin Dog Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone tell me what Dr. BBQ's 3-1-1 rib cooking meathod means?
Keep on Smokin!!!

Comments

• 3 hours indirect, I have mine done with a place setter and drip pan, then an hour wrapped in foil. I usually put some apple juice or beer in with them for good measure. Last hour is either direct or split indirect/direct. I keep my grate temp at about 225/250(dome). Just threw on 4 racks to take to a party this afternoon.
    Good Luck

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    RJFDOG,
    I believe it means to grill the ribs indirect for 3 hours unfoiled. Then foil them in heavy duty foil for 1 hour. The last hour is unfoiled with optional sauce the last 20 to 30 minutes. The last hour also serves as the way to firm up your ribs. The ribs comming out of the 1 hour foil will be fall off the bone condition. The last hour will firm up the meat and gives a little different texture to the ribs. LOL, Tom

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    RJFDOG,[p]3-1-1, 3-2-1, 3-1.5-1 are generic terms used to identify ones preferences for cooking times, in hours, for certain operations when cooking ribs. Most everyone tweaks the times depending on type, weight of ribs and amount of tenderness they prefer.[p]The first number refers to the time usually cooked indirect. The second number refers to the time that the ribs are wrapped in foil and returned to the cooker. The last number refers to the time the un-wrapped ribs are finished on the cooker, usually direct.[p]The indirect cook time of 3 hours is pretty standard. The foil time steams and tenderizes the ribs. Liquid or sauce is added to the foil pouch. The longer the time in this step produces more tender ribs, sometimes to the point that the meat is falling off of the bone. The last segment of the cook time will firm up the ribs and gives you the chance to add sauce and carmelize them if you wish.[p]Like all pit masters, the Dr. has a preference of spices, temperatures, times and type of liquids during the foil step. Click on the link for one of his rib recipes.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]DrBBQ Ribs[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery