Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey thawing HELP please

Options
Merry Christmas Eve, Please help me....I bought a 20 lb frozen turkey last Sunday which may have not giving me enough time to fridge thaw. Decided to sets it out last night and forgot to put it back in fridge. Roughly 10 hrs at room temp. Is this big bird done? Merry Christmas to all and I appreciate any advice. Shane

Comments

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Do you know what the temperature of the turkey was after the 10 hours at room temp.  The danger zone is above 40 and below 140?  I'm guessing that it was in the danger zone but for how long you don't know.  

Never let a crisis go to waste, is there a particular family member that you'd like to have this "special" bird?
    :))

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Chances are it's fine..still cool to the touch? Whatever limited bacteria that may have begun will be killed in cooking.. Btw I've done the same thing. It turned out fine.
    Put it back in the fridge and when ya pull it out if the giblets are still frozen run it in some cool water in the cavity for 10 mins of so. Even if it not totally thawed it'll be fine baking/ bge. These are actually recipes for cooking a frozen bird...Google it
    Trust your thermometer....

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Love the comments I'm going with and will report back in 2 days thanks a bunch
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    I just took an IT while it was back in fridge, outside edge was 50 degrees
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Shouldn't kill ya much

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Took a 12Kg (26#) out of the freezer last Thursday, put into the fridge. Checked it this morning and it is still frozen solid. Thanks for the heads up. It is still in the plastic so it is submerged in the laundry tub now. 
    Wonder if it has anything to do with these super energy efficient fridges? 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Skiddymarker-dang that's a big 'ol turkey...How you plan to cook that bird?  
    Don't know about the fridge-but whenever I remove something from the freezer to thaw it always takes longer than the interweb predicts.  Maybe the freezer is the guilty party...Regard;less, enjoy the banquet and Merry Christmas.
    Go A's...less than two months to spring training!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @lousubcap - SWMBO picked it up after Canadian Thanksgiving for $0.79/pound. It is going to be done in the big white clock in the kitchen, the MBGE only has appetizer duty tomorrow. 

Think you have something with the freezer, it is far colder than any we have owned before, it is a GE commercial upright we picked up a year or two ago. Pull ice cream out of that puppy and you need a jack hammer to scoop it. 

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Go A's!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    I ended up buying another turkey and discarding this bad bird, when in doubt throw it out Happy new year to all