Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs -- I really need some help here. :-(

Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried ribs for about the 5th time last night -- once again I wasn't happy. I think I need to start all over from newbie stage and learn how to cook ribs. I have three racks of babybacks to prepare to THE game saturday. (If you don't know, the Crimson Tide of Alabama is traveling to demolish UCLA in the Rose Bowl.) Anyway, I'd like to have the ribs ready to eat by 2:15.[p]I haven't done anything to the ribs at this point. The membrane is still on -- I assume that I'll be instructed to pull it off. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions. I was considering GFW's 3/1/1.5 method.[p]Thanks, in advance, for your help![p]Roll Tide.[p]Beaten but not giving up, Bama Fire.

Comments

• Bama Fire, TRUST ME...go to Gfw's site and pull up the Memphis Ribs recipe and do them 3/1/1.5 and if that doesn't make a believer out of you nothing will! ^oo^~

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Bama Fire,[p]I am doing 2 racks o-babies tonight too. I just finished removing the membrane and added JJ's rub to front and back. Now they are in the frig. I am going to rub a very light coat of mustard on them in a few minutes and return to frig until 2pm. I am doing them the complicated - but worth it - 2.5-1.5-1 method. Check my linked website below and go to the pork drop down menu and select babybacks - "foil wrapped tender". [p]You didn't mention how you did the ones you didn't like. Tell us what you did. I also like the indirect method over firebricks or the plate setter but the 2.5-1.5-1 method is better (thanks GFW).[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's web site[/ul]
  • Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Bama Fire,
    I never heard anyone from AL giving up.[p] By the way the odds maker are picking UCLA to beat BAMA...
    go figure. Coming your way this weekend. Currently in Auburn as we speak. We need a defense but one good thing..we may have found a running back (finally)
    I cooked baby backs a few weeks ago and I cooked them for about 6 hours at 220 degrees. I turned them over ever 45 minutes. I put mustard on them the night before and wrapped them up in saran wrap.. [p]WAR EAGLE.....go luck Sat

• Tim M,
    last night i did them indirect, over a plate setter, at 225 and hickory smoke. The ribs were covered nia simple rub of salt(kosher), pepper, garlic & onion powders. [p]The ribs were EXTREMELY tough. The meat wouldn't pull of the bone. I don't necessarily need the meat to "fall off" onto the plate when I grab the rib, but I don't wanna fight for meat either.[p]B~F

• Chief,
    Not giving up -- just need to wipe the slate clean and start over.[p]I'm so excited for saturday, I can't hardly sit at my desk! Roll Tide![p]Watched AU try to throw away the game last night. But, in the end, they did cover. Rats. [p]B~F

• Bama Fire,[p]I like you, was pretty dissatisfied with my rib efforts to date. Until Last Saturdaty night when I did the GFW method. I didn't use fire bricks, but used a pizza stone for mass. The 3/1.5/1.5 method produced the absolute best and most tender ribs I have ever eaten. My neighbors were ecstatic. I can't wait to do them again.
  • Irish Smoker, like a little old business teacher used to lecture us in high school... "I toe you so, I toe you so, and I azoomed you knew I knew what I was talken bout!"
    By and far Gfw has a winner in his 3/1/1.5 method. ^oo^~

• Bama Fire,
    I share your appreciation of good ribs. Unfortunately, my Nittany Lions have apparently lost their roar! What a humiliating defeat last weekend at the opener in NJ! I am not a huge Tide Fan, but I understand your anticipation nonetheless.[p]Try Nature Boy's Ginger Mahogany ribs in the new recipe section. You won't be disappointed.

• Tim M
    Bama Fire,[p]That temp is a little low for indirect - It would take approx 6-7 hrs at that temp. How long did you cook them??[p]While not fool proof or atleast I am not ready to say its a perfect test but if you take a meat temp between the bones in a meaty area (normally the big end) it will be above 190 to get a good rack that pulls clean. Higher seems to be better.[p]I just tossed my 2 on over a drip pan on the rasised grid. I will do them there for 3 hr then 1.5 hr in foil and still over the drip pan. The 1 hr direct and adding sauce for the last 45 min or a full hour. Good luck with yours.[p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    08_04_0018_21_02.jpg
    <p />Bama Fire, I love ribs! Just did a batch on Wednesday - check out the link and good luck!

[ul][li]Ribs[/ul]
  • Tim M,
    6-7 hours? Nope, mine weren't on that long -- maybe that's the problem. The mean was thoroughly cooked, but damn tough. [p]I think I've got "my mind right" now and I'm ready to tackle these three racks tomorrow.[p]Should I let them sit in mustard overnight in the fridge?[p]Thanks!!!!!!!!
    B~F

• bdavidson,
    Not to pick on a man when he's down, but after the 1979 Sugar Bowl and the blocked field goal in 1989 (?) I can understand your feelings about Bama. However, I was a big fan a JoePa until this year -- what's the deal with him backing a criminal? I would've thought he would be one to take a hard line -- not a "Bobby Bowden". [p]Oops. Sorry 'bout that off topic rant. [p]Ready for Big Wins and Great Ribs. Roll Tide Roll.[p]B~F

• Gfw,
    Yep, that's a picture of what I'm lookin' for!!! I'm gonna give your method a shot tomorrow. wish me luck![p]B~F

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Bama Fire, I wish you the best of luck -I'll bet the ribs turn out great - I may have to do some more on Monday - my limit is once per week and Monday starts a new week![p]Life is GOOD!

• Bama Fire, I cooked 3 slabs of baby back ribs last week for my opener. K-State vrs. Iowa. I pulled membrane off, put mustard on the front and back, this may be cheating but I sprinkled Adolf's unseasoned meat tenderizer on them. Then I used just good old Lawry's seasoning on them both sides. Lit grill at 4 in the morning, put the ribs on at 4:30 dome temp of 225. Cooked them direct and turned every hour. At 8:30 I wrapped them in heavy foil and put my bbq sauce on them then. Pulled them off the BGE monster at 9 and left for Arrowhead, still wrapped in the foil and placed in a dish with a outer cover to keep food warm. Opened them up at 11:30 and bones litterly fell off. Very good. Sometimes I prepare them and let set over night. I do also cut them in 3 pieces to fit on BGE better.[p]Good Luck,[p]CWM
  • Car Wash MIke,
    Nothing like getting up at 4am to prep for a nice tailgating party. Your priorities are in line! I like your style![p]B~F

• Tim M
    Bama Fire,[p]Cooking ribs to perfection is very relative. Its one thing to you and another to me. I tried a dozen rib methods and recipes but mostly methods. Firebricks, no bricks, drip pan, direct, over this and over that. Some I liked, others were better and some were judged "Best in Show". I still use about 3 methods but not the others, but you need to try a few to see what you like. Some like drier ribs with no sauce, I like jucier ribs with lots of sauce. The addition of ceramic was a turning point and a better solution than over just a drip pan for jucier ribs. The ceramic barrier allows higher temps, reduced cook time and less burning. Without much of the direct infared radiation hitting the meat they stay jucier in the indirect methods. [p]Tim
  • Bama Fire,
    I'm not sure about the whole Casey situation. As I understand it, the case is not at all clearcut. If Casey turns out to be a criminal, I'll agree with you. He may not be a criminal, but according to his performance last Saturday, he's not a quarterback either! It certainly doesn't sound like JoePa. He refused to let Joe Jurevicious suit up for two games two years ago because the guy cut a class! I still think Joe has a lot of class.

• Bama Fire,[p]How 'bout that Tide?[p]Pete