Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guava wood question.

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
gdribs01.jpg
<p />Is it good for ribs and how many chucks to use? [p]Thanks,[p]Mike

Comments

• smokeydrew
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I've used it a couple of times for ribs. I used two fist-sized chunks each time. You don't get as strong of a smoke flavor as hickory, but my wife doesn't like the smoke flavor, so it suits her well.[p]HTH,
    smokeydrew

• Snoopy Dog Dog
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I agree, I ususlly use 2 decent size chunks for ribs, works perfect every time.[p]Chris
  • Car Wash Mike, I used to use nothing but cherry wood for baby backs until I tried guava wood. Now, both my wife and I love the guava smoked version the best of any woods I have used in the past. Use it on any pork or chicken.

• Shhh.... Keep Guava wood a secret. Guava and Papayas are used widely as "tenderizers" in the culinary world. There are natural enzymes in these fruits that break down muscle tissues. The woods that you are using to smoke with contain them as well, but not in such a concentrated form.
    Tender meat and, a subtle smokey flavor that appeals to the masses! The stuff dreams are made of! Gotta go my mouth is watering......[p]An eggcentric fan!

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Eggboy007,[p]
    Sounds good....but I'm not buying it!![p]You are correct...those fruits, and others do contain enzymes that when used fresh...will break down muscle tissues![p]But!!!!!![p]Enzymes are killed at very low temps...not to mention temps hot enough to burn wood!![p]That will cost you 15 yards for Illegal procedure!![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!