Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made Calizones, the good and the bad...

Options
tz666
tz666 Posts: 404
I made calizones last night with leftover chicken, spinach, shrooms, onions, ricotta, parm, and the other ususals. First time ever to try egg or BE(before egg). They were looking great and filling was real good BUT I burnd the bottom and some on the edges. I used the oval stone on top of the AR rig extender. I coated the stone with corn meal and they didnt stick but I think the meal burned. I had around 650 temp I ordered the big stone from CGW and maybe I will try that big stone at grate level and oval stone up top. Was I cooking too hot?? Any Ideas?? These had promise.
PS when you point your adjustable light over the top vent to peek at your food dont forget and leave it up there, RIP grill light. Also learned about burping the egg first hand.
Travis

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    You have more good than bad there! Sorry about the light. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    The before shot looks really good, bummer it didn't work out.

Did you only use the stone, or did you have an additional deflector so the stone was not getting direct heat?  If only the stone, that would explain your burnt bottom - you need a deflector (second stone, plate setter, etc) in addition to the stone on which you're baking.  
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'm no calzone expert, but that seems kinda high. Also, did your dough have sugar in it? The last pizza I made had sugar in the dough and burned the bottom. My previous pizzas with no sugar didn't burn under same conditions.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Keep on trying! RIP light.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• tz666
    Options
    no sugar and I only had the oval stone from my AR, I jsut ordered the big round stone from CGW for a deflector. New light ordered also.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I haven't done calzones on the egg but I agree w @theyolksonyou‌ - temp seems high. When I do them in the oven I bake them at 350 - they're thick and need time to cook all the way through.

Sounds like you learned a lot from that cook though! Poor light, hope your arm hair is OK!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    IMO, you were too hot. Temp for me at about 1" above the felt line is in the 450ºF to 500ºF range. Haven't had a calzone in a month or two - thanks for the suggestion. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tz666
    Options
    so pizza is ok to cook at high temp because for the most part it is thin, and with the thickness of calizone I should bring down the temp to let it cook through more? Makes sense! Im from Louisiana, I know I could deep fry that SOB but this is off my specialty list. I was trying to surprise the wife with out a grilled dead animal, something fried, or something that didnt take a roux first. Im limited but Im stepping out with the egg.
    Travis

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Egged is the way to go followed by baked imo. I try not to fry too many things. With the extra stone you will be good to go. Also you will pick up a ton of other ways to cook different foods just by reading this forum.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • duck_hunter
    Options
    I agree with too high a temp, the last ones I did at 400 with the plate setter 
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain