Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket ... turbo

Options
2»

Comments

• StillSmoken
    Options
    @lousubcap‌ I guess I got fat fingers or it's this damn I phone. Fixed it!!!
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Looks good to me buddy. I'd hit it fo sho
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Smoker317 said:

That looks de-lish. What kind of rub did you use?

Sea salt and pepper. ..was out of Kosher.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Mouth watering brisket!!!!
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Buddy wants to do a turbo brisket on Sunday. 275F or 300F?  He has a 13 lb'r. He can get it on at 8 am, and want to eat at 6 pm ... so we have 10 hours to work with including towel wrap/cool.  So let's say 8h of cooking and couple of hours to cool.

What temp you guys suggest for the dome?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I was super excited, thought Henapple was back.

Lots of ewetube videos comparing temps and methods. I am curious to see if anyone here has done a turbo brisket recently.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Turbo is more like 320-350F.  Try that, turn up the heat if he's cutting it close 
    Options
    Turbo is more like 320-350F.  Try that, turn up the heat if he's cutting it close 
    Wowsers that is warm ... you sure it won't dry out?

I read one post on here (after a search on Turbo Brisket) ... 300F dome, 6h to do a 13 lb. Wrapped in foil at 160F internal ... so that seems fast enough.

I'm thinking he can start at 275F and crank to 300F if he's running out of time. Ideally, you want it in the foil wrap in about 6h ... if he starts at 8 am ... that will put it in the foil around 2 pm ... then another 2h to 3h to get to 200F ... then let her cool for 1h to 1.5h, and you're eating at 6:30 pm.

If that works for him, I'm going to try that one day on my egg ... it is such a paint to stress about overnight brisket.  8 am start for 7 pm dinner sounds far better.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @Mark_B_Good - the temp of the egg or any smoker really has no bearing on whether the meat is dry or not. Especially if you wrap when the bark sets.  The meat is done at tender you just get there quicker on a higher temp smoke. The higher cook temp does shorten your window of opportunity to catch the meat at just the right time because it will overcook so much faster.  I believe that @nolaegghead and @SGH ran a brisket over the 400 mark and brisket camp and it came out good.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.