Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Egg - Nervous New User

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20723&item=4409788775
<p />Hi
I've been looking at this site for some time and was wondering about getting an Egg when a used one showed up on Ebay !!. It was a mini and 29 bids later I won the auction. It has now been shipped from Georgia to England where it is sitting on my kitchen table , I only have the little cookbook / manual it came with and would really appreciate some advice on how best to start using it. So all suggestions very gratefully received.

Best Regards

Richard

Comments

• Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Options
    Richard, The first thing you want to do is throw away the cook book that came with your egg. From there you just need to have an understanding of the types of meat and how they should be cooked. For fattier meats like brisket, pork shoulder and pork ribs, you want to utilize an indirect method of cooking, setting your egg temps below 250 F. On steaks and burgers, you want to cook direct at much higher temps. For chicken I find it's best to cook direct at or near 300 F. This site will be an excellent tool to assist in your egging. Good luck and happy egging.

• Richard, welcome to a great cult. For great info on all aspect of using a big green egg, go to the Whiz's website, www.nakedwhiz.com. Don't be scared off by the name, it is'nt anything freaky. Cheers.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Richard,
    I think you are going to find that the mini is great for grilling and searing, but I don't think I've read of anyone really accomplishing much low and slow cooking on it. I hope a seasoned mini owner will chime in here!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Richard, I sent you a PDF copy of a cookbook I gathered together some years ago. You can do low and slow on the mini but you're dealing with very small butts (3-4 lb range) and it really cooks too fast even though the temperature is low. However, I love my mini for burgers and sausages, chicken breasts, a turkey breast and so forth. It feed stwo of us well.