Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Question

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Lots of us use our Eggs to bake, and enjoy the results immensely. I read an article this morning where they wanted to replicate ancient Roman hearth-baking technique, and in a conventional oven placed a heated casserole (or similar) over a pan of rolls.[p]In general, that's what we're doing with our Eggs, but the casserole would be much nearer the bread than are our domes.[p]My question is based on curiosity - has anybody tried this, either in a BGE or in a conventional oven? [p]Ken

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]I think it was Old Dave who told us about using a pizza stone on the raised grate when cooking chicken on the regular grate to add crispness to the skin, (due to the heat reflection) [p]I always forget to try this tip until it is too late.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    ive been wanting to see how putting a soapstone pizza stone on a raised grill and sliding the food underneath would work. hoping its similar to a broiler since i did not order one with my stove. i know that olddave puts a pizza stone over chicken to help crisp it up. ive had good luck raising the rack for bread way up high to the dome.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BlueSmoke,[p]I think I understand what you are talking about and that is to have something hot and close to the top of your bread. I have done this and in my opinion, it works well. I have a picture of the setup I use in another cooker but it is just like the Egg only much larger as it does heat from the top of the cooker with an indirect setup. [p]28MVC-017E.jpg[p]This bake was for 4 loaves of standard pan bread and this is the setup I use. For hearth breads which are not as tall, I move the racks closer to the top stone.[p]I have a rectangular stone on the top grid which browns the top of the bread on the second grid down. Then the second grid down browns the bread on the third grid. [p]Dave[p]
  • fishlessman,[p]I have been working on some contest chicken recipes and just did this cook a few days ago with a stone about 1/4" above the chicken and it didn't work as well as my standard setup which has the stone about 3-4" above the meat. I plan to try this one more time with a higher temp and another setup but cooking in a pan. [p]47MVC-007E.jpg[p]There are 4 chicken thighs under the stone. [p]Dave

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Old Dave,
    that technique is kinda what ive been thinking except with maybe some haddock in the pan with a bread and cheese stuffing on top. maybe start the cook with the pan on top and then slide it under the stone to brown up the stuffing with the hotter heat under the stone.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Thanks! That's exactly what I'm talking about. Since I have one pizza stone (and lots of fire brick) I'm thinking of setting up with pizza stone under and fire brick over. Opinions?[p]Ken

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Ken,[p]You may also want to consider putting both the stone and the bricks on the grid, raising the height of the hearth surface closer to the dome. This is how I set up my "Egg hearth" to try and simulate the air flow dynamics of the brick ovens that Alan Scott builds.[p]Puj