Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pure Awesomeness OR Gross?!

Options
2»

Comments

• corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    Options
    I'm thinking gross
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I will try anything once. If your not trying your watching!  8->

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    @Big_Green_Craig

I like your fire. A few years ago, just after I got my BGE I put some vodka in a Pyrex dish and attempted "smoked" vodka. 

I hope your brisky turns out better!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

JohnInCarolina That's the one. Worse case scenario, I've ruined a bottle of bourbon. It's worth a try. 

No I think the worst case scenario is you poison somebody with this stuff.  

Bars have been infusing all kinds of meat with liquor. It's fine.

In my much younger years bars helped me infuse my meat. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Pure awesomeness OR gross?!?! 

I feel like there need to be more choices.  
    Here we go:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Botch said:
    "Awesomeness or gross"?  You're supposed to tell us!!  I LOVE experiments like this!   :-bd

You sparked an idea for me too: if I tightly wrapped a slice of bacon over a steel shot glass, and smoked it slowly until cooked, would the bacon shell be waterproof enough to hold a shot of Maker's Mark?
    Inquiring >hic< Minds want to know!  
    :D
    Yes.

imageimage

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm reminded of that Seinfeld episode where Costanza considered his two loves: sex and pastrami.  He figured they were so good on their own, doing them at the same time would be next-level stuff.  After all, what could possibly go wrong?

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I think it may have served you better to just chop or dice the brisket rather than purée it. If the bourbon doesn't work you would have infused the brisket pieces. Plus you will never get the bourbon clear again and to not look like pudding.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Well well yet anutha luva of Makers...imo all alcohol must be burned off. I make "Mothers Milk Sauce" fo pok and I simmer one of the parts with Makers 10-15 mins works to get the booze out. I know others that use other bourbons but it isnt the same as MM IMO.Booze can give a bitterness if not reduced some.
    I'm interested in knowing the outcome..good luck !

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    My gut says it'll be gross, but my heart wants it to be pure awesomeness. Standing by!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'm reminded of that Seinfeld episode where Costanza considered his two loves: sex and pastrami.  He figured they were so good on their own, doing them at the same time would be next-level stuff.  After all, what could possibly go wrong?

I find Pastrami to be the most sensual of all the cured meats.....

Will you then use it as an injection for future briskets??  That may work if it ain't worth drinkin.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Brisket-infused Bourbon-injected Brisket? Here comes another shot at winning Eggtoberfest.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Look forward to a report on the outcome.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Brisket bourbon run down:

I started out with a whole packer brisket. I rubbed it with Meat.Church Holy Cow and smoked it hot and fast on the Big Green Egg.

I took several slices of the brisket and placed therm into a mason jar, then poured a full 750ml bottle of Maker's Mark bourbon over the brisket.

I refrigerated the jar for 6 days. Then strained the contents through a cheese cloth and then a coffee filter. I cleaned the mason jar, returned the bourbon to the jar & placed it into freezer overnight.

A second run through another coffee filter and it was ready to go.

This was a TON of work, but ended up creating a custom flavored bourbon. I really enjoy it!

• Little Steven
    Options
    I'm not surprised. We had our company Christmas party last weekend at a resort where the chef does his own charcouterie. He does it in a glass structure in the middle of the resort. Just a beautiful sight. They are getting quite a reputation for their Caesars (Bloody Mary with Clammato juice instead of tomato). He puts a whole skewer of olives in the glass with a ridiculously thick slice of his bacon cooked crisp. He infuses Crystal Skull with bacon and it is really milky but just spectacular in the drink.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dayzed&confused
    Options
    I just can't do it folks. Maybe I'm too old or too conservative but brisket is for cookin and whisky is for drinkin while the brisket is for smokin.
    San Angelo, texas
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Did the runs through the coffee filter clarify it enough? It's hard to tell from the pic with the ice ball.