Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vegetable bean barley soup

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is a recipe I have been working on for several years now. It all started as a challenge from my wife when I commented that a bowl of soup she heated (canned soup) tasted like the can and that I could "do better."[p]1 sweet onion chopped
4 celery sticks sliced thin
4 carrots sliced thin
1 big handful of fresh green beans
1/4 green pepper
1 cup broccoli tops in small bite size pieces
2 bay leafs
1/8 tsp sage
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1.5 tsp Parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp white pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, juiced
32 oz vegetable broth
1 can (about 15 oz) white northern beans
1 can (about 15 oz) Pinto beans
1 can (about 15 oz) Garbanzo beans
1 can (about 15 oz) corn, drained
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 can (about 15 oz) diced tomatoes
2 tsp honey
2 pinch cayenne pepper (small pinches)[p]Add above ingredients to large pot (I use a dutch oven), add water to top off pot, and simmer for about an hour. Add salt to taste at this point (I add about 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt). Add about 3/4 cup barley and simmer another hour until barley softens. Serve hot. This makes quite a bit of soup and it is MUCH better the next day.[p]This meal provides complete protien and my kids love it. Try something new and enjoy![p]Banker John

Comments

• Bluegillman
    Options
    bankerjohn@tampabay.rr.com,
    Sounds good tasting soup, I love soups of any kind. I'm gonna give this a try when our kitchen is all finished.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I served as a test kitchen of this recipe for Banker John yesterday and made a large pot of this hearty soup. It really is good and I recommend it. It is a culinary symphony of tastes and textures!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • smokeydrew
    Options
    bankerjohn@tampabay.rr.com,[p]Since I have practically all the ingredients in my kitchen now, I know what I'll be eating for lunch most days this week. Thanks for the recipe, it sounds like a winner.[p]smokeydrew
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    smokeydrew, well, yes it does make a full Dutch oven pot so you'll be eating it for a while. I instead freeze one pint quantities in Food Saver bags. Right now I have a melody of soups in my freezer to choose from and the super convenience of reheating.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • smokeydrew
    Options
    bankerjohn@tampabay.rr.com,[p]Great recipe. I made a batch yesterday @ a total cost of ~$4.00, other than items I already had on hand. My wife ate half a bowl before asking, is there any meat in here? I did almost double the quantity of liquid after adding the barley as it turned more to a thick stew than soup.[p]Thanks,
    smokeydrew