Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Help

So my 23# bird that took 7.5 hours last year was done in 3.5 hours today. We don't eat until 6:30 tonight. I have it wrapped in foil and packed in a cooler with towels. How long can I hold it that way? If I can't hold it 7 hours, what should I do?

Comments

• lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
  • their are a couple of us doing the same right know hoping for the best. My bird has been done for about 3 hours eating in another 1 to 1 1/2 good luck.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • lecrams
    Any idea what the minimum safe temp is for the meat to drop to? It's dropped from 161to 154 in 2.5 hours. Got another 4.5 hours to go. :-S
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Quit opening the cooler! You may have to reheat it in the oven/egg
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lecrams
    No worries. The cooler is on lock down. I have a probe with a wire coming out and thermometer sitting on top.
  • I feel your pain... I have a 24lber I put on at noon @325 dome temp, I have my digicue in the breast and it shows the temp already 142..... I have chocked it down and covered with foil.... Any other ideas?  Thanks!!
    Remember that grilling is more than preparing food… It’s time with family and friends, it’s your heritage and childhood memories….
  • lecrams
    I hope everyone else who had their bird quick cook turned out ok. My birds turned out great, even after one sat in the cooler for 7 hours before carving! The odd thing is I had a 23# bird cook in 3.5 hours and a 12 # took 5. I hope you all had a great turkey day. Now I'm off to figure out what I'm cooking for rivalry day tomorrow. War Eagle!
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    lecrams...glad it worked out. To me 7 hrs is a long time, but I've kept butts and briskets for that long with absolutely no issues. 

My problem is...I'm ready to eat the whole thing as soon as it comes off the egg...or before !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!