Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Setup question

Options
BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My parents are coming to town this week. Of all the things I have learned to make over the years, they want my "secret recipe" pizza. I've had success on the egg before, but I wanted to see what set up others have found effective. I use the plate setter with a pizza stone directly on it, but I seem to recall someone putting the stone on a raised grid to cook the pie. [p]Anyone try this? Any best practices to share?[p]TIA

Comments

• babyboombbq,
    I prefer thin crust pizza. My set up is as follows: indirect plate setter, feet facing up, then the grid, and, lastly, a 17" aluminium pizza pan. I roll out the dough real thin, then place it on the pizza pan. For instructions on how to season your pan, google "aluminium pizza pan thin crust"[p]Lately, I've had some very high temp pizza cooks... the BGE gauge shows all the way back close to the 100 degree mark... I guess that would be 1100 degrees or so. At those temps, you are only looking at about 5 minutes or less on the cooking time. The nice part is that the whole inside part of my egg is white-clean again.[p]I highly recommend this method. [p]

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    JAN2006Pizza.jpg
    <p />One of the King's Men,[p]I find that the "upper dome" temps produce the best crust, the grid extender gets you a bit higher in the dome.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    One of the King's Men,
    I've had the most success with your method, using a pizza pan on the grid above the platesetter legs up. I get a nice crisping of the crust without scourching and the toppings are done at the same time as the crust. I use perforated pizza pans with a light coating of oil. Easy on, easy off. I stay in the 500 degree range, not brave enough to cook my gasket.
    Clay

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    EggtoberFest200585.jpg
    <p />babyboombbq,[p]These photos were taken at EggtoberFest....[p]Above: "Smokin Joe" throws a mean pie dough!![p]
    Below: What "Smitty" said.... about gettin'er up in the [p]dome is important if you want a pie that's crisp on top and [p]done on the bottom as well!! [p]This was Joe's setup, and a sample pie... from that day!![p]EggtoberFest200583.jpg[p]
    Shrooms anyone?[p]Evans[p][p]

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Smokin Bob
    Options
    9ccffb44.jpg
    <p />Chubby,[p]I find that my crust does not cook at the same pace and isn't done enough to my liking if I'm that high up in the dome...
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    SmokinBoB,[p]I have found that putting the pizza crust into the Egg with only a little olive oil brushed on for about 5-6 minutes before loading it up helps make a nice crispy pie crust.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Chubby,
    Hey there Mr Chubster! You are the camera man eggstrodinaire!!! I've been workin to damn hard to get here to post - in fact it's the first time I've even lurked in over a week - bummer for me. [p]Great to be back - thanks for the kudos bro!!! Smokin Joe

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    babyboombbq,
    as you can see with Chubby's pix... The platesetter is in feet down, the grid extender and the 12" baking stone on top. Cooked at about 550* until the crust browns nicely. I cook a thin crust until I achieve a light brown under-crust (bottom of pie) and a med brown (but not burnt) top crust. It's just the way I like it. You can adapt to how you like it - just experiment until you get it "your way". Joe