Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maybe my best Egged meal yet!

Options
Essex County
Essex County Posts: 991
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I went to a restaurant in Portland, Maine last weekend to celebrate our 28th anniversary. It was called Fore Street. It focuses on high quality, local ingredients, prepared very simply. I was trying to decide between the diver scollops and the monkfish when I noticed a spit holding a large pork loin over the open hearth. (I found out later that they cook on a combination of Wicked Good lump and apple wood.) So, I went for the pig and it was fantastic. They served it sliced into a single, juicy, pink pork chop nearly 3 inches thick![p]I couldn't get this meal outta my head! So, last night, I took a 3lb center cut pork loin, seasoned it with DP's coffee based rub, and put it on the egg at 200 degrees. I was cooking indirect over a drip pan and had tossed a couple of chunks of black cherry into the lump. After nearly 3 hours, it hit 145 degrees. I took it off, foiled it, and set it on the warming rack above the stove while I prepared mashed potatoes and wax beans. I also opened up the egg for a sear. After about a 15 minute rest, the loin went back on a 600 degree fire, this time direct. I let it go about 4 minutes per side and got a great crust. Back inside for another 15 minute rest while the final preps got done. Finally, I sliced that badboy and it was amazing. Really, juicy, fragrent and perfectly cooked. Oh yeah, we got to eat it too! Very tender with the right amount of smoke (and a pretty big smoke ring) and a thin crust on the outside. Incroyable![p]Did I meet the standard set by Fore Street? Not quite. I matched up well on texture, smoke and seasoning but their's had better pork flavor. Now I am on a quest to find local pork products. Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.[p]Paul

Comments

• Super Glide
    Options
    Essex County,[p]Fore Street's grilled lobster is the best I've ever had.[p]I can't even describe how good it was.[p]My sister in law used to live up there so twice a year we'd get there.[p]She lives in Boston now... pity.
  • Essex County,[p]While perhaps not local, try to find Kurobuta pork, which has a higher fat content than the major US suppliers. Additionally, the restaurant probably brined their pork. If you can't find kurobuta, give brining a try and you will find your roast more juicy and flavorful. I'm going to give your recipe a try as well! Sounds great.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    b6139abf.jpg
    <p />Essex County,
    for a little more pork flavor you might want to try a country rib roast. its the fattier end of the loin and has more dark meat in the loin section and along the bone. its got a little more fat that you would have to eat around, but lots more flavor and much moister than a center loin
    f1de3f6e.jpg
    da830c65.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • randomegger
    Options
    Essex County,
    Two years ago my wife and I did the exact same thing for our anniversary and I must concur with you - that pork was awesome!
    RE

• bean town griller
    Options
    Essex County,[p]Possibly the greatest meal I have ever had. Been going to that restaurant for years and always try to get something other than the pork dish - never been able to resist, though, once I get in there and smell the smoke....[p]Let me know if you discover a recipe and pork cut/place to get the pork that duplicates this dish. It is out of this world.[p]Bean Town

• Essex County, why don't you ask the restaurant people where they buy their pork. They'll probably tell you. Or you might ask if they will sell you an uncooked loin, or a piece of a loin. One of our better restaurants here in Denver will sell prime beef steaks, uncooked, for home cooking.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Two questions; I have only had my BGE for less than a month and recipes sounds great. Question #1 where can i find DP's coffee based rub. And Question#2 - i thought pork was consider done when the temp reached 160 to170. You stated the temp of 145. I realize you are still alive, but is that OK? Let the new guy know.
    thanks

• Essex County
    Options
    bob,
    First, you can get a variety of DP rubs at the link below.[p]Second, yes, I am still alive! First, a disclaimer: I am not an expert on meat temp safety. When I got Julia Child's "The Way to Cook" a number of years ago, she suggested that pork was done at 135. I tried this and found that it was a bit too rare for me. Also, the food safety police freaked out when this temp began to catch on and reiterated a safe temp of (I think) 155. I find that 145 to 150 really hits it for me. Also, the main reason to cook pork to a safe temp (that differs from other meats) is trichonosis. But that's been eradicated from the pig population in the US.[p]hth![p]Paul

[ul][li]Dizzy Pig[/ul]
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Essex County,
    I would ask them. It's either Wolfe Neck Farm in So Freeport. (Probably free range pampered hog) or from Pat's Meat market on Stevens Ave, Portland. Great bakery right below restaurant for bread and cinnamon rolls.