Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Achieving High Temps?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm relatively new to egging, and only recently did my first round of steaks on my egg. I was not able to achieve temps higher than 600 or 620 degrees. I filled my egg with new lump, over the older lump that was in the firebox already, and then lit it in two places with fire starters. After 10 minutes, I shut the lid and kept both vents wide open. It quickly reached 600, but never got hotter.[p]Should I have removed the old lump? Should I have let the fire burn with the lid up for longer than 10 minutes? [p]Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. [p]And by the way, the steaks stilled turned out very well, but I would love to get my sear temps even higher.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• TJP,
    couple of ideas. .. . [p]first, is the hole in the bottom of the firebox lined up properly with the bottom vent? .. .make sure it is ..[p]second, can you use old lump? . .sure, but do a couple of things, 1.) make sure the ash is cleaned out of the bottom of the egg and two, stir the old lump and make sure it isn't clogging any of the holes in the fire grate . ..[p]third, make sure you have a good load of lump. . for super hot temps, i usually have the lump filled about 1 inch above the firebox and into the fire ring. ...[p]light your fire in 2 or three places. ...i close the lid as soon as its lit, rather than leave the lid open. ..i think you actually get a better draft that way. . .[p]doing these few things, i never have any trouble going nuclear (getting the temp gauge needle to point straight down, probably around 850 - 900 degrees or more) . . .[p]one last thing you can do is take a little fan and blow it straight into the bottom vent. ..i promise you will have a roaring volcano if you do that. .. [p]DSCN0693.jpg[p]HTH

• Good advice and SWE-E-E-T pic!! I have seen that out of my egg many a times.

Wobbly pops to ya,

PH
    Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    TJP,
    did you take the daisy-wheel contraption completely OFF?[p]many folks simply open it all the way. you need to pull it off to get over 600[p]as a bonus, however, it is good to know that keeping it ON but wide open will pretty much peg you at 600, spot on.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • TJP, I am sure you will get plenty of comments, but I have one simple reminder: FLASHBACK - NO BUENO .... Tom

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    TJP,
    It sounds like you got some BGE lump, I have the same problem as of about six month now. I did mix some Cowboy on top of some old BGE and it was 800 in no time. Recent BGE lump is not as hot from me as it once was.

• TJP,[p]I'm going to bet with Mad Max on this. Sounds like a drafting problem. I think you need to check that all of your firebox holes are clear. [p]It's one thing to toss new lump on top of old...the egg is great at minimal lump use...but it's another to stir the old lump around, sweep or vacuum out the area under the firebox, and check for pieces that are blocking holes.[p]I have an old piece of small diameter brass that I use as a "firebox hole poker" (No jokes, please!).[p]
  • Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Will first try and make sure I am achieving maximum air flow before adjusting my charcoal type from the BGE brand.
  • TJP,
    I've found that I get better temps quicker if I put the new lump in and the older stuff on top. Leave the top off and close egg for a better draft. Mik

• Sieve
    Sieve Posts: 9
    Keep your air holes clear.[p]Used lump can work fine, but because it is smaller and grittier than new lump, it tends to clog the air holes. Reduced air flow sets a ceiling on how hot you can go. Try putting a bed of new lump in the bottom covered by the old lump.[p]I've also noticed that certain brands of lump do not seem to get as hot or as quickly as others. The strange thing is that even within the same brand, it can vary. I guess each batch is different, depending on what wood they use at the plant.
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    If you need high temperature, you need air....all you can get....so pouring fresh lump....on top of old lump....isn't the way to go....cause not enough air will get to your fire......that simple......When I'm going for high temps....I completely clear out all the old lump and make sure all holes are open and ready for air flow....then I carefully stack the new lump on side angles in the bottom of the firebox...so maxium air can reach the lump through the bottom grid.....If I have any worthwhiles older pieces.....I will put them on top of the newer stack......No air....No fire....More air...More fire....Higher temperatures........it's all good!