Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Reducing Ring for XL?

Options
I'm considering putting this on my Xmas wish list. For those who have them, how are they working for you, or would I even need one? I'm thinking they would ne nice for indirect cooks in the 325-425 range? Would you recommend the solid one or the open one? Thanks!
Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN

Comments

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I made one from some scrap expanded metal for my XL BGE.
    It's about the diameter of the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. I overlapped the ends & used tie wire to secure. I just set it on the grate. I'd get a picture, but it's currently being used. I've also used 2 fire bricks set on edge to create a smaller firebox area also. 

I located a couple pics on my phone. Will post them if your interested.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • scooter759
    Options
    @Durangler‌ - I'd like to see your pics, thanks.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Durangler
    Options
    Fire bricks & home made ring. Used about a 36" x 5" piece of expanded metal. imageimage
  • Durangler
    Options
    Sorry for the poor pics.
    You can pinch the bricks down as much as you like.
    Both work great
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

That is still a device that I do not understand the purpose of.  It's to "reduce lump usage", but you still need to heat the entire XL BGE.  It doesn't matter if it's on one side or the other, just in the middle, or around the outside.  It takes the same amount of lump to heat the XL to 350F no matter where or how it's stacked.

The only instance when I can see this working is if you're looking for direct grilling for an extended amount of time.  You keep the fire centered and direct.  But if you're just doing a couple of burgers or brats, just light the XL in the center or off to the side.  By the time your up to temp and have grilled for 10 minutes, the other side has probably not even began to catch up.

In the long run, I just don't see it saving much, so I would go the fire brick or cheapest route.  If you spend $30-40 on one, you could have just burned that extra few bags of charcoal over the next few years than the ring is going to last.

• Durangler
    Options
    @stlcharcoal. Your point is well taken. ;) I use these for indirect only. I've got the expanded metal ring working now on a single rack of baby backs, the egg has been running at 248 to 252 degrees for the last 2 hours. Have a few pig shots ready to go on in another hour. I'll still have plenty of fuel to burn when I shut it down.  :>
  • scooter759
    Options
    @stlcharcoal‌ - I understand I'm still heating all the thermal mass in the egg. I've noticed in my XL, sometimes my fire will run in a particular direction rather than spread evenly from the center after I put my indirect stone (round stone from CGS with Woo2). I thought the ring would allow me to keep the heat source symmetrical.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Boy that XL could hold some lump eh? How much does it take to fill without a lump saving "device"? 10 lbs or more?
    :-?
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited November 2014
    Options

That is still a device that I do not understand the purpose of.  It's to "reduce lump usage", but you still need to heat the entire XL BGE.  It doesn't matter if it's on one side or the other, just in the middle, or around the outside.  It takes the same amount of lump to heat the XL to 350F no matter where or how it's stacked.

It's not just about reducing lump although that does happen.  It's more about managing the lump burn and temps over a specific area during small cooks in a big cooker.  For searing steaks,  the best chance of a constant temp across the grid is if the lump is burning at a constant height, depth and area.   If the grid is a couple inches over the lump, sitting atop the lump reducing ring, on the lower xl woo2/spider ring or atop the fire ring, I could care less about getting the xl to 350.  I do care about getting my searing zone to 650 or so. 

The only instance when I can see this working is if you're looking for direct grilling for an extended amount of time.  You keep the fire centered and direct.  But if you're just doing a couple of burgers or brats, just light the XL in the center or off to the side.  By the time your up to temp and have grilled for 10 minutes, the other side has probably not even began to catch up.

It's not always about being centered.  BGE sells half moon grids, being centered with them is not an advantage.  Some folks own a medium or large cooker along with an xl, being centered here has some advantages on sharing accessories between cookers. 

This is where you can save lump, as you don't have to worry about a side catching up.  Most of the time it's using the old lump in your desired grilling area along with a little new lump.  Creating a wall allows you to pile the lump in even thickness for constant temps across the grilling area.

In the long run, I just don't see it saving much, so I would go the fire brick or cheapest route.  If you spend $30-40 on one, you could have just burned that extra few bags of charcoal over the next few years than the ring is going to last.

Our lump reducing rings and ang-L brackets are 304 stainless.  I'll let you know when mine quits working.  Buy more lump......really!

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    I have the CGS open (bar) lump reducing ring.  I've never looked at it as a way to reduce the amount of lump used in the XL, but as a way to organize the lump.  This is not to say that all sorts of other things wouldn't do the same job.  I personally like the lump reducing ring, and it spends a good deal of time in my XL.  I use it for both direct and shorter indirect cooks.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I really like the open bar Lump Reducing Ring, but have not tried the solid ring. Seams easy for people to not understand, dislike or give reviews on items they have never used. The ring works great to contol the lump and heat. Really great for direct searing and using a Wok as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Sorry missed one
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I had about 3-4 inches of lump ( Rockwood) in my XL last night, left over from a couple of previous cooks. I just stirred and lit in one spot (at 1200) and brought the xl up to 250 in about 10-15 minutes for 30 minutes of indirect cooking, then I removed the PS, jumped up to 500 to seer, about 5 minutes total, then shutdown by closing the SW top.

I looked this morning, because this is the first time I have ever shutdown by using the SW top only....I was amazed to see that I had hardly even used any Rockwood....It pretty much looked exactly like it did when I started the lump before the cook.

I am posting this because I too have considered a lump reducing ring, and I found a cheap SS basket that I could use...but I have never used it. I started to use it yesterday, but was too lazy to collect all the leftover lump and put it in the basket...so I just stirred and lit. 

Seeing my low consumption...and my eggcellent results on my reverse seer ribeye...I will probably just stir and light or add and light in the future. I contribute my satisfaction not only to the design of the egg, but also to the quality of the Rockwood lump that I am so dedicated to.

Just my thoughts and observatons,

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

@tjv @PhotoEgg

I've messed around with fire bricks off to one side or the other and found it useful.  I like what Primo did with the oval, or KJ did with the Big Joe and have the fire box divided.  Then you could grill on one side, bake/smoke on the other side.  I did not witness that much of a reduction in lump usage though.

I didn't mean to bad mouth the product as far are creating other cooking options......I just never believed it would reduce charcoal consumption enough to pay for itself.  Kind of like buying a medium because your XL uses too much charcoal.  If you want to tell the wife that to justify the purchase, cool.  But if you have other uses for it--different temps around the grid--then by all means get one (especially if it doubles as a wok holder......love my spider & wok.)

The only one I ever saw for sale was cheap 18-gauge "expando" stainless steel.  The one pictured above would definitely last forever.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
     I use mine on every cook.  The main reason I use one of these is because I attached a grid to the bottom of the fire ring with 2 large washers and then you can shake the ash out after each cook.
    It also creates an "indirect" area around the outside of the grid when grilling.  I put things like potato wedges and many other things I don't want direct heat underneath.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    I'm in the lump reducing (LR) ring camp, although I think LR is a misnomer.  Like some of you said, it's more about lump management.  I made my own solid LR ring with a surplus stainless collar, also found some scrap metal bands for making LR dividers in the future.

Here are few examples where LR shines for me:
    1) cramped indirect cook - no worries of charring meat that overhangs the PS
    2) using Large's AR in the XL - it's like matching the pan to the stove element size
    3) cooking kebabs - smaller grids can rest directly on the ring, over concentrated and level lump bed
    4) high temp non-raised direct tandoori chicken cook - creates a perimeter buffer to avoid over charring

IMO Law of conservation of energy makes sense for long low and slow cooks, but how practical is it in the above scenarios?
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    Options

@tjv @PhotoEgg

I've messed around with fire bricks off to one side or the other and found it useful.  I like what Primo did with the oval, or KJ did with the Big Joe and have the fire box divided.  Then you could grill on one side, bake/smoke on the other side.  I did not witness that much of a reduction in lump usage though.

I didn't mean to bad mouth the product as far are creating other cooking options......I just never believed it would reduce charcoal consumption enough to pay for itself.  Kind of like buying a medium because your XL uses too much charcoal.  If you want to tell the wife that to justify the purchase, cool.  But if you have other uses for it--different temps around the grid--then by all means get one (especially if it doubles as a wok holder......love my spider & wok.)

The only one I ever saw for sale was cheap 18-gauge "expando" stainless steel.  The one pictured above would definitely last forever.

Part of the confusion might be the perception taken by the product name. "Lump Reducer" to me means less lump in the cooker. Not that I'm going to burn less lump on my cook everytime. Because the lump grate is so large in the XL compared to the the other Eggs it can take 16-20 pounds of lump to fill the beast to the top of the fire ring. Using the ring reduces this amount but still keeps the lump level higher, closer to the cooking grate for higher temps and searing. By pushing the ring to the back or to one side still gives a fair amount of indirect cookin surface similar to using fire bricks or sone other divider. What I really like about the open heavy duty rings is the airflow. Open the bottom vent and open the dome and you have a concentrated searing station. Shut things down some and toss them around the edge and roast to finish. The ring also works great on top the plate setter as a riser/spacer for a pizza stone. Gets your pie up in the dome to bubble and brown the cheese
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I like mine for even burning and use with the wok. I have mine in the cooker maybe 80% of the time. Most of my cooks arent low and slow, so It helps manage the burn and I can concentrate my cook to the center of the grid. 

Here is a pic of the ring while cooking lasagna. It keeps the burn directly under the indirect stone. I dont have to worry about the lump running to a particular side creating hot spot. I can consistently get even burns in the center of my cooker. My AR places the grid in the center; which is where I prefer to cook.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I'm in the lump reducing (LR) ring camp, although I think LR is a misnomer.  Like some of you said, it's more about lump management.  I made my own solid LR ring with a surplus stainless collar, also found some scrap metal bands for making LR dividers in the future.

Here are few examples where LR shines for me:
    1) cramped indirect cook - no worries of charring meat that overhangs the PS
    2) using Large's AR in the XL - it's like matching the pan to the stove element size
    3) cooking kebabs - smaller grids can rest directly on the ring, over concentrated and level lump bed
    4) high temp non-raised direct tandoori chicken cook - creates a perimeter buffer to avoid over charring

IMO Law of conservation of energy makes sense for long low and slow cooks, but how practical is it in the above scenarios?
    I agree with all stated. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Canugghead
    Options
    speaking of the devil, just finished smoking two bacon loins, swmbo asked me to roast a whole eggplant for salad ... large's grid directly on LR ring, using the XL grid would have probably tripled the distance between food and top of lump ...

canuckland
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Here's a tip... don't bother.  I have an XL and have never considered this.  I have fire up the grill using a 1/2 full Weber chimney to cook a single dog.  Just piled it up in the middle, cooked the dog and shut it down..  Next cook reused that little bit.  A steak or a couple of burgers, I may use a full chimney... When I have 4 20lb bags and 5 10lb bags, it is not something I worry about... 
  • Canugghead
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @onedbguru, please ignore this if you were not referring to my roasted eggplant. No it was no bother at all ... I still had plenty of lump leftover in my LR ring after smoking two hunks of bacon loins @ 200F for hours; instead of shutting it down I simply threw the large's grid on the ring  ;)
    btw, I still worry about running out of lump even with 500+ lbs of lump hoard 

:D
    canuckland
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options

I just had my first low and slow cook this weekend.  I did a 9lb butt and it took 15.5 hours.  After the egg cooled, I looked to see how much charcoal it used and I was blown away.  It MAYBE used a third of the lump.  I could not believe how efficient it was.

But, I do agree the lump reducer could be useful to control where the heat is.  The XL is a large surface of lump and you may have one or two isolated areas creating all the heat for the whole egg.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Not really a lump reducer as such, but I have used a tall smaller diameter section of pipe to be able to keep temps low for cool smoking. 5" tall and 2 1/2" inside diameter. If the top coal is lighted it burns to bottom fairly slowly with chips laced through coal. Place it to side of firebox and nothing directly above. All vents almost totally closed. I have since gone to the Amazing type but this did work early on. My latest creation is a stainless home built of the Smoke Daddy style. I will try it next time I do cheeses.
    Since getting my Medium I no longer need any type of reducer for smaller cooks.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Learned a lot and got a lot of new ideas from this thread....thanks everyone for posting your comments.

Always wanting to learn and explore new methods for my egg.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• cortguitarman
    Options
    I like the angle L brackets. They are great for indirect cooks. It does take the egg longer to et to temp with them.
    Mark Annville, PA