Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite cut of steak

Options
2»

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    An asian marinated skirt steak is also a good one.
    Greensboro, NC
  • travisstrick
    Options
    A super marbled sirloin is hard to beat.image
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I forgot to add I am liking hanger steaks allot more as well lately.

Now I can't wait until next weekend.

Garnerville, NY
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Porterhouse and then just a 1.5 to 2 inch filet

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options

And even harder to find.
    Jacksonville FL
  • SloppyJoe
    Options
    Bone In Ribeye
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    thick New York cut, seared to perfection over a mesquite charcoal fire and cast iron grate on my BGE.  my absolute favorite!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Acn said:
    New York Strip all the way! I also love Tri-tip, but I will argue that it's more of a roast and not really a steak...

Cheers -
    B_B
    This all the way here (including my wife and daughter). In fact, here they are gnawing the ends of a bone-in Ny strip: image
    Love that smile on your lil one's face. Happiness.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I am a Costco prime ribeye person. So is my daughter, wife does not prefer red meat.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    Love a marinated flank steak, cooked at felt level then cave man for that nice char!
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options

Good grief, is that a Wagyu sirloin?!?  I've never seen one like that.  
    :-O

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I'm a sirloin man.  A good sirloin steak is seriously under appreciated in today's world.  I'll take a New York Strip as a fairly close second.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

My favorite is the NY, and then a Porterhouse after that.  For some reason, the best steak I've ever made was a NY strip on the grill- both on a weber gas grill and on BGE (better results on cast iron grid).

BUT, a cut that I've discovered recently is the flat iron.  It is almost as tender as a filet yet has the flavor of sirloin.  It's great family-style sliced over a bed of grilled onions or in tacos.  Cost is reasonable too.  $6.99 - $8.99 at Fry's.  

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Cut it out!!!  All this talk about favorite steaks made me too hungry, so yesterday I dove into the freezer, and found the very last filets.  I did a reverse sear, smoking with oak and pecan, and along with grilled red potatoes and asparagus, we had a most excellent feast. 

Right now I'm on my way to Costco to replenish the larder.  More filets are definitely on the list, and I'll see what else looks appealing.  The last ribeyes from Costco weren't great.  I also don't like that they are blade tenderized.

Santa Paula, CA
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    The Picanha (top sirloin) that I had at a Brazilian steakhouse was by far the greatest tasting steak I'd ever eaten.

I usually go for a good ribeye though! 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    2 bone ribeye or a bone in strip. pass on the fillet and porterhouse but love the big tbone side of that cut. would pass on all of those for a good bluefin tuna steak
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Prime ribeye is very hard to beat
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Have to go with a bone-in ribeye.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Bone in:  Cowboy Rib Rye.  If not my cook, cajun at Commander's Palace
    No bone:  Skirt

Cooked just enough for the marble to melt.

Love me some tartare, too, but that's a different thing altogether.

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Spinalis Dorsi is the best part of the cow. Sirloin cap/flat iron/skirt are tied for second.
  • Elmer Fudd
    Options
    A nice filet is my favorite followed by the ribeye. While I buy meat at Costco if I have guests Or want a really nice cut (especially filets) I will buy at my local grocer and butcher shop .... Filets have topped there at $27 per pound so I'd like to find a way to marinate and doctor up a less expensive steak.
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Used to be a porterhouse, but then I discovered my local butcher and his NY strip steaks.  Absolutely amazing using a reverse sear!!
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Total damages for today's trip to Costco was the better part of $500.  Ouch!!!  That included 8 very nice filets totaling 5.5 lbs, 10.75 lbs of prime tritip, a 7.5 lb rack of pork, some very nice lamb chops and a rack of lamb.  At least the freezer will be well stocked.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    1.5 inch thick NY strip from Publix, rough up a garlic clove with a zester, smear garlic paste, smoked sea salt and black pepper the night before. Put in the freezer 4 hours ahead of cook. Reverse sear - pull off at 120 internal before the sear.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My favorite steak is whichever one I'm about to eat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker