Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ/CyberQ in winter

Options
I am planning on buying one of these controllers and I am wondering how these things take the cold?  By cold I mean -30 to -40 deg C.  It is winter a long time where I live and if these things can't take the cold then I don't want to waste my money.

Bigalsworth
Large BGE
BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada

Comments

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    The Digi Q will be fine...although not in Saskatche-toon....Wisconsin gets pretty darn frigid

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• bigalsworth
    Options
    found my own answer through the powers of google which happened to lead me to this site.  Who would have thought to use to word weatherability for a search on the forum.  for anyone interested here is the link to the info

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/958530/weatherability-of-stoker-or-digiq

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• bigalsworth
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.  Now to decide on the DigiQ II or the cyberQ.  I do like the idea of not going outside to see what is going on in the egg

bcsnave said:
    The Digi Q will be fine...although not in Saskatche-toon....Wisconsin gets pretty darn frigid

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• North_Is_Up
    Options
    I have a Guru Wifi and live at high altitude. The coldest that I've cooked at is -18F/-28C. I have noticed that at about 10F/-12C or below, the unit slows down between LCD screen changes. It's not a problem in operation though. If you use a mobile phone or computer to access the data, you won't be able to tell the difference. The unit hums along fine.  It goes from a warm house into immediate operation when it's cold so that it doesn't have a chance to possibly damage the electronics by sitting outside.

Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Thanks @North_Is_Up I had a feeling there would be a little bit of a slow down on the digital display.  I will have to test it below -30 and see how that goes.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II