Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foil or Paper - FTC or PTC for Brisket

Options
If the brisket is ready several hours prior to serving I have used the traditional Foil, Towel and Cooler approach. Even with that the Brisket is still very hot to the touch once I remove it from the cooler. Would non waxed butcher paper be a better alternative than foil? Also, what should the internal temperature be for a whole packer prior to slicing?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @dstearn‌
    The great debate, foil vs paper. And the winner is..........Neither. They both have their place and particular uses. Let me elaborate if I may. There are times that I feel one is better or more suited to the circumstance at hand than the other. Due to miscalculations or unseen events, sometimes the cook is complete many hours before schedule. This can be either by design or by accident. Nonetheless the question then becomes what to do to still ensure a quality product in the end. It is here that I feel that foil has a little advantage over paper. Why? Simple. It has a much higher insulation value than paper. It has both better heat and moisture retention abilities than paper. You said it yourself above and I quote: (Even with that the brisket is still very hot to the touch). For extremely long hold times I feel that foil is the optimum choice. On the flip side of that for general cooking and a standard rest to serving temp I prefer paper. Why? Time from pull temp to serving temp is still controlled but much faster than if using foil. This is ideal when cooking a brisket and it's done on time and there is no need to hold other than for the brisket to relax and settle in and come down to serving temperature. That said I have held brisket for near 3 hours in paper with good results. However if I know that I will be holding for numerous hours I will go ahead and use foil or the pan method. Just for the record and for farther clarity, there is no absolute in this debate. Paper and foil both have their uses and both will always be used by professionals and ameteurs a like. To farther clarify take a look at the current bbq scene. You have guys like Myron Mixon who uses foil products exclusively. At the other end of the spectrum you have guys like Aaron Franklin who use both foil and paper for different circumstances. One would be hard pressed to argue against the success or accomplishments of either of these guys. All that said, and again this is just my opinion and what I have had good luck with, for cooking and a normal rest or hold I prefer paper. For a very extended hold time I prefer foil for the reasons already mentioned above.
    As to serving temp, this is probably as debatable as the foil vs paper issue. However I like 140 degrees. Why? At this temp a large primal has settled in and done its business. Farther resting doesn't achieve or accomplish anything. Also the meat is at the temp most people prefer to eat it at. Nice and warm but not to hot. Just right if you will. Sorry for the brief explanation but I'm pressed for time. I can give greater detail later when time permits if needed or wanted. And please remember that this is just one mans opinion and his way of doing it. I shared it because you asked. I hope that this at least helps a little my friend. Good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @SGH...You helped me...again !!!!!  I appreciate you're volunteering to share. Earlier today, I had the same question...but moved on instead of wanting to bother anyone (you) for an answer.

You are greatly appreciated and respected around here, Thanks,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    SGH said:

Sorry for the brief explanation but I'm pressed for time.

=)) :)) =)) :))
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    Options
    @dldawes1‌
    Brother I apoligize for not seeing your question. I would have surely addressed it if I would have seen it my friend. I have not been on as much today as usual. Got several projects that are taking up my time. That said, if I can ever help, please feel free to PM me. If I'm not on, then feel free to call or text me. I'm always glad to help anyone when and where I can. My number is 228-627-5400. My name is Scottie. When someone needs help it is not a "bother" to me at all. Folks call me daily for help and I'm honored to help if I can. Trust me my friend, it's no bother at all. Any and everyone is welcome to call or text me anytime. I love talking and helping. That was my sole purpose for joining this forum. Well and aggravating cazzy ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks Scott, as always your advice is very appreciated. The best scenario would be to time the cook to pull the briskey 1 hour before serving. I am going to try to time it better this weekend, Lucky for me I get to cook briskets two weeks in a row! Last time the meat was 170 when I served it out of the cooler. I should have let it sit a bit. Resting and slicing skills are my next two goals.
  • SGH
    Options
    @dldawes1‌
    Brother I apoligize for not seeing your question. I would have surely addressed it if I would have seen it my friend. I have not been on as much today as usual. Got several projects that are taking up my time. That said, if I can ever help, please feel free to PM me. If I'm not on, then feel free to call or text me. I'm always glad to help anyone when and where I can. My number is 228-627-5400. My name is Scottie. When someone needs help it is not a "bother" to me at all. Folks call me daily for help and I'm honored to help if I can. Trust me my friend, it's no bother at all. Any and everyone is welcome to call or text me anytime. I love talking and helping. That was my sole purpose for joining this forum. Well and aggravating cazzy ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have no idea why that posted twice^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @SGH....I never asked the question...only wanted to !!!!!

I figured the answer would show up sooner or later...I greatly appreciate you posting it sooner !!!!

I got your number...just in case !!!  I think the forum is eggcellent on answering questions quickly...but , you never know !!

Thanks again,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    edited November 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    @dldawes1‌ Brother I apoligize for not seeing your question. I would have surely addressed it if I would have seen it my friend. I have not been on as much today as usual. Got several projects that are taking up my time. That said, if I can ever help, please feel free to PM me. If I'm not on, then feel free to call or text me. I'm always glad to help anyone when and where I can. My number is 228-627-5400. My name is Scottie. When someone needs help it is not a "bother" to me at all. Folks call me daily for help and I'm honored to help if I can. Trust me my friend, it's no bother at all. Any and everyone is welcome to call or text me anytime. I love talking and helping. That was my sole purpose for joining this forum. Well and aggravating cazzy ;)
    It is truly guys like you that make this forum awesome.  Thanks for all you do and many of the other huge contributors do.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • SGH
    Options
    @dldawes1‌ @Zick‌
    It's always my pleasure to help when I can my friends

Status- Standing by.