Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Iphone freezing.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Just to clarify, I did not put my iPhone in the freezer. As of late when I'm trying to type the phone just "freezes" or "locks" up if you will. Anyone else having this issue? Even better does anyone know how to resolve this issue? For clarity I have a IPhone 5s, I have not downloaded the new iOS 8.1 that just came out a few days ago. Why? I get a message saying I don't have enough available storage. Up to this point I have loved all my apple products, iPad, Apple/tv and especially the iPhone. But as of late the phone is really trying my patience. Any help or advice my friends? Will the new download correct the issue? Should I just bite the bullet and buy a new iPhone 6? Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated brothers and sisters.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• cajunduck
    Options
    I backed up my things through iCloud, and deleted apps that I really don't use anymore to free up space for the 8.1 update. The update really helped with some of the issues I was having. Mine was freezing up to. Hope that helps!
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • SGH
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @cajunduck‌
    Thanks for the reply. I know that this is probably asking a lot, but how do I do what you said above? I don't want to lose my music and movies.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    What size phone do you have? You may want to delete or transfer and then delete most of your pictures to free up space as well
  • SGH
    Options
    @hapster‌
    Brother I'm not sure what you are saying. I'm NOT very tech savy at all my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    How much free space do you have on your iPhone? I ask that because you don't have enough free space to update to the latest iOS. You will want to keep around 1GB free just for normal operation. If you get down to almost full, it can get funny. Kind of like how you and I get when we get hungry. ;)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Brother I have no idea how much storage remains. But I can sure relate to your last statement as I'm frigging starving right now. Unit 6 is running in excess of 400 degrees to rectify this though!! Just wish I could rectify this stupid phone by bumping temp!!

Status- Standing by.

• cajunduck
    Options
    I ended up emailing myself most of my own pics to free up space from my phone and deleted them from the phone. Go to settings find iCloud and turn it on first, and then pick what you would like iCloud to backup for you.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    My IPad is doing the same thing
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Try updating through iTunes instead of over wifi. The update needs so much space over wifi because you essentially are storing two operating systems at once until the second is installed. If you do it through iTunes, the new overwrites the old. 

@SGH. Go to Settings>General>Usage>. Under "storage," you'll see how much you're using and how much you have left. If you tap "manage storage," you'll see how much each app is using. 

RE Freezing: Try turning off your phone with the top button (until you see the Apple symbol). If that doesn't work, hard start it by pressing the power and the home button at the same time (if you have a VPN connection, you might mess that up with a hard start; you'll need to visit your work tech to get the connection re-established). If that doesn't work, try resetting (also under Settings>General). This will return your phone to factory settings, so make sure you're completely backed up in the cloud. Restoring should be seamless, though you will need to plug the phone in to accomplish it. 

Now, if none of those suggestions work, get a new phone and make sure you get more storage.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Ever since I have upgraded my iphone 5 to 8.1 the phone locks up on me at least once a day. This usually happens when I have to enter my password. My ipad retina mini does not have this issue.
  • NervousDad
    Options
    As said above backup to iCloud and restore try to remove what ever is not needed.  8.0 s is just full of bugs unfortunately :( and you need to get to 8.1 to have less bugs...

--Signed a frustrated iPhone developer :)

Aurora,OH
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Haven't had any problems at all with 8.1 on my 5 or my mini. Love it. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @SGH‌, if you bought your movies and music through Apple, you don't have to worry about losing them. You can delete them and when you return to iTunes you can redown load them without paying again. Deleting 1 movie will probably free up enough space to allow for the upgrade. My iPhone is working much better since the latest upgrade. I was ready to throw it in the garbage a few weeks ago. I can't upgrade until January, so I'm glad the newest iOS upgrade fixed most of the freezing issues.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have a new iPhone 6. It freezes a lot.

Garnerville, NY
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    @SGH‌ we have 2 5s phones both with the same problems. In settings ours both said we were not using near the data the cloud would/could handle I was told by their IT folks that there are a lot of "hidden" things that take up space we increased our c
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    Sorry @stemc33‌ I didn't see your post.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • SGH
    Options
    Thank you all. I have tried some of the above suggestions but I guess I just don't understand well enough to do it. My wife just came in and I'm going to get her to try and delete my movies and see if that will free up enough space for me to download the new 8.1. Thank you all my friends. Your help and input is very much appreciated.

Status- Standing by.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @ SGH...did you get your answer ?   Do you have an iCloud account setup already?  

Settings > general > about > capacity  and available  should tell you about your storage .

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• DMW
    Options
    OK, forget about the iPhone. What is in Unit 6? :D
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Coat with EEVO and Tsunami Spin

375 for an hour

Raised direct

Works every time! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SGH
    Options
    @dldawes1‌
    My wife is working on it for me. Thank you my friend.
    @‌DMW
    Nothing special my friend. I have been playing around with cooking pork steaks at different raised direct heights and temps. Just to see if I could tweak them a little over the traditional low and slow method.

Status- Standing by.

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Hate to say it but IOS 8 was a complete bust for me on the 5S.  I finally grew frustrated enough and upgraded know IOS 8 was designed for the 6.  Much better overall, but a real shame for 5S owners. Still have issues with Siri being much dumber since IOS 8 was introduced though.  I use her all the time for voice dialing and texting so it can be pretty annoying.  The latest updat did improve the problems on the 5S though, so worth doing the update after freeing up some space.
  • SGH
    Options
    @stv8r‌
    I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go buy one of the new 6's with the big screen tomorrow. Done got frustrated now.

Status- Standing by.

• stv8r
    Options
    I will say I absolutely love the new 6 overall.  The screen resolution is amazing compared to the 5 and the bigger screen is easier on my eyes.  I highly recommend getting a tempered glass screen cover and case for it,  From what I hear if you drop it the tempered glass will shatter before the screen.  Here are the ones I bought and am happy with.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OC61X4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JH88D1O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just remember these are for the 6 not the 6 plus
  • DMW
    Options
    If you are going to upgrade, go with the 6+ rather than the 6. That is just my personal opinion. I just got an LG G3 with a 5.5" screen. It was an upgrade from a Samsung S3. If I had the option I would have gone larger. I know I need to go get new glasses, but that's beside the point.

I just think you would prefer the 6+ with 5.5" screen vs the 6 with 4.7".

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Absolutely brother. I'm getting the biggest they have.

Status- Standing by.

• stv8r
    Options
    no disrespect @DMW but it depends on how you use your phone.  I tend to use mine one handed a lot while working and driving and the 6 plus is too big for me to do that comfortably. If you keep it in your pants pocket the 6 is a more comfortable fit in my opinion. My best advice is to handle both at a store and go with what feels right.
  • SGH
    Options
    @stv8r‌
    Brother I never had any trouble of any kind until I down loaded that first iOS 8 that came out. It's been nothing but trouble ever since my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Question my friends. I think I figured out how to put my pics on iCloud so I can safely delete them from the phone. However I'm having to do them one at a time. Is there a way around this? Also how do I verify for sure that they are on/in the "cloud". Sorry for all the questions but thanks for all the input and help.

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    Options
    Sorry, would help if I could. My most only iOS device is an original iPad with no iCloud.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA