Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ DX overshoot

Options

I just got my DigiQ DX......put on the16lb packer...went out an hour later and alarmed at 300 degrees...had the pit set at 245 degrees.

I closed the daisy..and then removed the foil around the probe wire..the PitViper is set about 15% open

Any ideas

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Give it another hour. I'll bet it comes down for you.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I'll keep an eye on it......

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Close that top completely, close the bottom even more.
    Check probe placement.
    Seattle, WA
  • bcsnave
    Options

Skinny

I have my probe over the PS leg...toward the front...

the daisy shut...the Pit Viper about 10%

Glenbeulah, WI

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Should come back down.soon then, good luck.
    Seattle, WA
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Assuming you are cooking on a large?  If you have the 10CFM fan, make sure that the slide adjustment for the fan is no more than half way open. Also, you will have to play around and get a good feel for where to have the daisy. If you have an excellent gasket that seals well, you may have to have the daisy barely cracked. If your gasket is fried and you get alot of smoke coming from your gasket, you will more than likely have to run the daisy completely shut. Don't worry, the guru will push the air out even with it closed. I use the guru on my large as well as XL and almost always have my daisy completely closed. Also, when are you putting the guru on? Are you waiting till it gets to temp and then adding it? I always seem to do better by putting my on right around 200 and letting it do the work for the last 50 degrees. Fanning it will also kill you. If that guru worked pretty hard to get it up to your desired temp, and then you start lifting the lid over and over tinkering with things, it will climb on you as well.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I just read your other thread as well. If it's windy like you said, I have seen wind blow up through the fan hole on the bottom of the pit viper and feed the fire without the fan even running. I fought wind one night on an overnight cook and ended up taking foil and building a shroud around the fan so it would keep the wind out.
  • bcsnave
    Options

@Rolling Egg

I think you might have hit it on the head...the wind died down and everything cooked like it should...food temp is at 184 right now and pit temp is 243....

I probed it and it seems almost like "Buuuhhhhttttttaaa"...I think I am going to leave it on a bit longer and at 7:00..I am going to Thermapen that rascal...

Probably foil, towel, and tuck it in for a nap inside the cooler

Glenbeulah, WI

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Another thing I've found is that it's best to never let it get high.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bcsnave
    Options

henapple.....I probed this beast this morning and it is really soft and feels like its done...

I put it on last night at 9:30pm and it is 8:45 am..food temp shows 189...

should I take it off?

Glenbeulah, WI

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Pit controllers cannot restrict air flow only add to it to keep the temp up. If there is more air moving naturally through the vents you will overshoot. I close the top vent almost completely to hold 225
    Jacksonville FL
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    How long did you let the wood lump go before you turned the pit viper on? I found that if I let the lump burn for more than 5 minutes that the fire would get to hot, I called BBQ Guru support and they suggested that I use just one starter and after 4 minutes close the egg and let the Pit Viper slowly bring the Egg up to temp. I have never overshot my temp since using that method.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Take your thermapen or a probe and slide it all the way through from top to bottom in several spots. If there is no resistance in any of those spots, it's done. You should be getting close at that temp
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bcsnave
    Options

Thanks.......just took it off...gonna wrap that puppy and tuck it in

it's amazing what you can cook on an old P.O.S..lol

Glenbeulah, WI

• bcsnave
    Options
    better do a clean burn to clean her up.....
    lol.png 62.6K

Glenbeulah, WI

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Throw that one in a big fire to do the "clean burn".
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • bcsnave
    Options

Wife made me some breakfast to tide me over...eggs Nueskes Bacon, hashbrowns and toast

Tomorrow will be brisket and eggs

Glenbeulah, WI