Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ThermaPop

Options
Just got one of these. Wanted to see how well it worked before I went after the thermapen. So far has worked great and passed the boiling and ice water tests. Hoping to do a prime rib for the holidays so I needed a decent thermometer. Anyone else tried this? If so, how does it compare to thermapen?
Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN

Comments

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Accuracy wise it's great - no difference from the Thermapen that i've seen. But it's a couple seconds slower than the Thermapen - like 4-5 seconds vs. 1-2. Not a huge deal unless you have your hand over a 600˚ fire. I like my Pop in the kitchen where I can stick it in something on the counter and leave it for a few seconds/minute while I do something else.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

For the diffrence in price I think its a better deal. It is backlit, the numbers rotate on the screen for easier reading, and I have had no problem getting burned for the extra 2 seconds it take to register.There are so many other gadgets to spend money on I just chose the more economical route for my temp probe.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Tbonesmokes
    Options
    Own both.  Use the Thermopen the most.  I like the Pop the best when venting meat before FTC to make sure it has stopped cooking and just watch for the temp to drop to where I want it.
    XLBGE, LBGE, 2 Superior SS-2 gravity feed smokers;  Medford Lakes NJ
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    I'm loving the POP,  no pen needed fro me.
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I also have both but use the thermapen the most at the moment. However, it is definitely being affected by the heat in the egg.  Where the probe meets the plastic body is starting to melt.  I will use it until it breaks then switch to the Thermapop.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA