Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 butts, 2 eggs, 2 different setups. Pulled Pork for 200...

Options

Comments

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Hell of a cook, MacGyver.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've never seen that before. ..EPIC.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    6 butts in the cooler, 2 more finishing up. Venison chuckies are seasoned up and in the smoke.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Good thing you already burned your table down, Sparky.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice cook centex I love my adjustable rig

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    JRWhitee said:

Nice cook centex I love my adjustable rig

Me too. This settled it- I'm getting another one for egg #2. It was hands down the winner in this scenario. I liked having both (and I guess I still will have the extender if I ever want to use it) but the rig is the way to go for me.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    How did you set up the AR? Where did the indirect piece go and did you also use a drop pan?
    Greensboro, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

How did you set up the AR? Where did the indirect piece go and did you also use a drop pan?

I have the R&B combo with the oval stone. It lays perfectly across the fire ring. Worked like a champ. That way I was able to pit a grid at the lowest and highest levels and there was plenty of space so they didn't touch.

I used a foil drip pan that i rigged up.

It's a nice setup and you could do 2 packers at a time if you found the right sizes.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Venison is off and in the braise in the Sous Vide. Going 140 for 18 hrs or so and we will see how they feel.
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    Did you brine them? Also, is that a shoulder?

I'm a little hung up on the venison as you can tell. My wife's family does a lot of hunting and eats it often. As a result, I do too, now :)

Outside of backstrap, we grind it all up with a mixture of pork. I'd love to find a decent way to make one of those bigger cuts of meat.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • Nicholas_Wetton
    Options
    Amazing and thanks for sharing. I hope the bride and groom appreciate the effort.
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    wpendlegg said:

Did you brine them? Also, is that a shoulder?

I'm a little hung up on the venison as you can tell. My wife's family does a lot of hunting and eats it often. As a result, I do too, now :)

Outside of backstrap, we grind it all up with a mixture of pork. I'd love to find a decent way to make one of those bigger cuts of meat.
    Those are whitetail shoulders (aka chuck roasts). We don't brine them but we rub in the carne adobado rub,
    smoke for 4-5 hours then braise in the liquid in the link above. They shred up like barbacoa or carnitas and we will serve as street tacos in corn tortillas. There is a picture of the tacos (done with beef) in that link above.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Amazing and thanks for sharing. I hope the bride and groom appreciate the effort.

Me too! Just sat down for the first time all day and we have several more hours of just prep and assembling everything once we are there.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Here is one of the venison shoulders after the smoke and before the braise. They are sitting in my sous vide for an 18 hr soak. Should get nice and jiggly.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Are you doing the duck in the egg? They can be really greasy. Everything looks great. I have a big cook coming up next Friday, but nothing this big.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The eggs are belching out 40lbs of pork funk. They have worked hard for 30 hrs straight and are still chugging on the same load of lump. The last 2 hrs have been at 600 to clean burn them out. That cheap lump seems to last a long time. You can see in the pics though how big the chunks are and how some of them weren't fully carbonized. I threw my shoe in there for perspective.

The lump:

The eggs getting clean (and rolling coal on the neighbors) :))

Duck is in the brine and I'll hit that with apple wood tomorrow morning once these eggs don't smell like a pig factory in July.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Nice job! Best looking pork butt I've seen posted in quite a while.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:

Nice job! Best looking pork butt I've seen posted in quite a while.

Thanks. They turned out awesome too. Super gooey and smoky. Best I've done in quite a while. Nice when a plan comes together.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Are you doing the duck in the egg? They can be really greasy. Everything looks great. I have a big cook coming up next Friday, but nothing this big.

yeah but I'm slow smoking them so they don't release too much of the greasy stuff. I cook them at like 225 until they are med rare.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Good day in the kitchen too. Finally putting stuff back together instead of tearing it down. Sheet rock is up.

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options

is that just a standard  SS grate on the swing rack?

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    XLBalco said:

is that just a standard  SS grate on the swing rack?

Yep. Med grid up top and large grid down low.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Eggs are still at 450 at 10:45 pm central. I lit them yesterday at 3pm. 32 hrs on the Same load of lump and still blazing.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Looking good man!  Good luck!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Great cooks Centex.  Incredible looking shoulders; standing by for your venison shoulders sv result!  Love my grid extender and AR, but for double butts I think grid on nuts/bolts would work better than the extender.  Your Lazzeri reminds me of the Indonesian Starlight lump l bought couple of years ago ... not fullly carbonised, chunky but burns hot and long ... the smell is awful though, I have to preheat a long time to drive out the odour, or use it for clean burn.
    canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If it quacks like a duck....

imageimage

We Are almost packed up and headed to the event. This has been an insane amount of cooking for 2 people. Was fun but not something I would want to do often. If you guys eat out tonight, hug a chef. Go ahead, I said it....give em a great big hug (as I salute and sing America the beautiful). Anyone name that obscure movie reference?
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    So how did it go? Have you all recovered yet?
    Greensboro, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well....the smoke has cleared and there is no visible structural damage so I guess you could call it a success. 3 of the 4 people that were supposed to help with the food did not show up so we served 225 people with no help. Fortunately TFJ had everything streamlined and we had a few family members pitch in to help out as well. It was so insanely busy for 5 hours straight that I didn't take one food pic. I've only been that busy a few times in my life. It was nuts. anyhow, the food turned out great. Everyone was happy and the house looks like a bomb went off in it.

One note- we used an Annova Sous Vide in a 50 gallon cooler to keep the pork and tomato basil soup at proper temp. That thing kicked ass. It took 2 hrs to get the cooler up to temp but it was rock solid once it got there. Very impressed that thing could manage 40+ gallons of water with food coming in and out of it for hours.

Ill find some pics as soon as I can. It was a nice event and even though we got our asses kicked, we pulled it off with flying colors.