Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on the Mini! (pics)

Options
:D \:D/
Thrilled to add the mini to my collection (guess it's collection now that I have 2?). Perfect size for SWMBO and I to cook stuff during the busy work weeks. Decided to just grill some burgers. Kept the temp around 400-450 direct (normally I'd go hotter). Can't wait to get the inside dirty! Here's a few pictures from the event:

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looking good. I am wanting another egg and am looking at a used medium with cart possibly, but would like the mini or mini max.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job Fence and congrats.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    Thanks @Ladeback69. I'm sure whichever you pick you will be happy.
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @JRWhitee - congrats on the Mini Max!
    Cumming, GA  

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Lol, just MHO, but the top cap is pretty much useless for the mini!    Have not used mine once, and just control temp with the bottom vent.   Probably should just unload it on Ebay to reduce the net cost I paid for my mini  =)
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up @odie91! I was starting to wonder if I needed the top on for the cook. I'm used to the large and the SS chimney cap, so it might take a little adjusting!
    Cumming, GA  

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Congratulations on the mini. I absolutely love mine. It will quickly become your go to cooker. Enjoy my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fence0407
    Options
    As always, thanks @SGH. Your mini posts were a big reason I wanted to get it.
    Cumming, GA  

• Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Congrats on the purchase great choice, the mini is a true killer when cooking for two. You'll find you don't need the higher temps in the smaller space and you will definitely save on lump... 
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Way to go @fence0407. I know you are happy to have it!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @Sixpack1!

Yes @johnkitchens - thrilled! Thanks!
    Cumming, GA  

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Nice. You ended up with a new one!
  • fence0407
    Options
    @Lit - sure did!
    Cumming, GA  

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I am wanting another egg and am looking at a used medium with cart possibly, but would like the mini or mini max.
    I use a medium with an XL.  Still a good amount of cook space, but heats up much faster and uses less charcoal than my XL.  A minimax would be cool, but I think you'll like the medium too.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • fence0407
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    I am wanting another egg and am looking at a used medium with cart possibly, but would like the mini or mini max.
    I use a medium with an XL.  Still a good amount of cook space, but heats up much faster and uses less charcoal than my XL.  A minimax would be cool, but I think you'll like the medium too.
    Or we could all be more like @badinfluence and get one of each size or more  ^:)^
    Cumming, GA  

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Congrats @fence0407!  Couldn't tell you how many times I have eyed a Mini.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fence0407
    Options
    @tarheelmatt - thanks! I think you should pull the trigger if you find a good deal. 
    Cumming, GA  

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    They are so cute at that age =)) Congrats on the Mini
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fence0407
    Options
    Mickey said:

:)) Thanks @Mickey! Hopefully I won't bug you with too many questions :-@
    Cumming, GA  

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @fence0407, when I do go to look, I always think "is it big enough", you know?  I really like the MM specs, so that will likely be my next one (not anytime soon seeing the price on them).  Wondering if the rumor is they will phase out the Mini and Small, they would move inventory and price them right.  I would take a small and I feel I could manhandle it well.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Mickey said:

Hell, everyone says it's just a toy anyway. What kind of questions could you have? mjrawls@me.com ask away please.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fence0407
    Options
    @tarheelmatt - I agree that the minimax specs would be ideal. However, I am not going to convince SWMBO that the price is worth it. I think if you ask around most people would say the mini is perfect for 2 and for camping/tailgating. I debated a small but decided the mini would be a little easier to move around. You'll figure out which size makes most sense for the cooking you plan on doing and whether that's the small, minimax or mini, you're going to enjoy it!
    Cumming, GA  

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Burgs look great!! Haven't done them yet, this week. Maybe next year I can add another child, gotta get used to the first one being the newborn that it is.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @logchief! I got the mini almost exactly 1 year after getting the large. It helps to have some experience - so maybe by next year when they release the minimax you'll be ready!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    Mickey said:
    fence0407 said:
    Mickey said:

Hell, everyone says it's just a toy anyway. What kind of questions could you have? mjrawls@me.com ask away please.
    Email sent! Thanks!
    Cumming, GA  

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    fence0407 said:

Ragtop99 said:

Or we could all be more like @badinfluence and get one of each size or more  ^:)^

@fence0407‌ lol I just picked up another new mini this morning. Up too 11 still waiting on the max. The bakers dozen will be home soon. :D
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • fence0407
    Options
    @badinfluence:-O crazy crazy crazy lol!  
    Cumming, GA  

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @badinfluence‌, are you wealthy or did you when the lottery? That's around $12,000 for the 12 give or take a few hundred and that's not counting all the toys that go with them. It took me a year to talk SWMBO to let me get my XL and I have mentioned about getting a small or a mini and said why do we need another one? I said it would heat up faster and we could take it places, if you ever went places where we could use it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ no to either not wealthy or the lottery. I have a very understanding wife for sure. Oh and she don't know about the new mini I got today. I figure it's so small she won't notice it anyways. :D
    I was not kidding about my job I'm just a truckdriver. I just enjoy my toys and work veryhard to get them.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa