Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

you guys are awesome

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This forum is great. I would like to thank all the people who made me feel better about not getting the 4-6month claim from a bag of bge lump.
Most people seemed to think the owners manual was a bad book of reference. Wow, I show it off. Good story there in the beginning of it. What about the recipies in there?
I will trust you people with all of my concerns from now on.
Thanks again,
Kreg N
P.S. Does anyone have an opinon on the sliding daisy wheel vs. just the sliding top? Is it worth upgrading to the sliding daisy wheel?

Comments

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Kreg N,
    Go with this forum for recipes, forget the owners manual.
    This forum is the source for all your answers. The deapth of information here is endless.
    Fireball

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Kreg N,
    I bought the Daisy wheel when I bought Mr. Big and after a few months still used it from time to time but, after attending the shindig in Waldorf and watching some of the 'pros' (Cat and Spin come to mind) you can control temps quite nicely with just the lower vent. I was amazed! 'Bout the only time I put Miz Daisy to work is when I smoke any thing. I try to hold the smoke in as much as I can and still control the temp. [p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Kreg N,
    The recipes in the book aren't all that bad for some ideas. I found that they were severely deficient in decent information on times and temps, if present at all.[p]The regular daisy wheel will not let you get the Egg above about 450F. With the sliding top you can get it higher, up to 550F or maybe a little more. I use the regular wheel most of the time because I'm used to it and most of what I cook is at 350F or below. I use the sliding wheel for pizzas. If I'm going to sear steaks or something I go with no top and regulate the heat with the bottom vent only.[p]As to whether to get the sliding top, I just figured it was another really nice toy to play with.
    JimW

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Kreg N,[p]You won't see much if any difference in the operation of the slide/daisy over the slide top. I don't think they are even still making the slide top - only the daisy and the slide/daisy (I could be wrong). The daisy part just makes fine tunning the temps easier at low temps, both have a max temp of around 650 deg if wide open (large Egg). [p]While I agree that you can regulate temps from just one vent (either will do that) it is more efficient to use both and also the dome temps will be more uniform throughout. [p]Tim
  • AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    Kreg N,
    I started with the daisy and to its detriment, it offers almost limitless combinations. That's why I'd recommend the slide top. It just simpler to use.[p]AndyR