Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot wings!

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I came up with a great way to do Buffalo style wings on the Egg. It's very simple. All you need are chicken wings, Frank's Hot Sauce and butter or margarine.[p]You can either use whole wings (with the tips cut off - some wing recipes say to cut the wing at the joint after removing the tip, but I don't think that's necessary)) or drumettes (much simpler if you don't have time to cut them, or you're just lazy). Whatever you use, make sure the wings have skin. I haven't tried this with skinless wings, but I don't think they would be as good - the crispy skin adds a lot to the texture of the wings.[p]After cutting the tips off and cutting the wings into sections (if you want to do it this way) rinse them well in cold water, and dry them with paper towels. You could rub them with a little salt and pepper if you want to, but I don't think that makes much difference.[p]Get the Egg up to 300 and put the wings directly on the grill. I usually don't use any wood chunks or chips, but it couldn't hurt if you did. Grill them at 300-400 (the temperature usually fluctuates, it's okay if it gets pretty hot, but you don't want too much flame - they might burn that way) for 30-45 minutes, turning every 7-10 minutes. They should be dark brown and the skin should be crispy when they're done.[p]While they are cooking, melt 1/2 cup of butter or margarine. Add 1/3 cup of Jack's Hot Sauce to the butter or mragarine and stir together. (this is from the recipe on the bottle)[p]Take the wings off the grill and put in a tupperware type container, Cover them with the sauce mix. Cover the container and shake it a few times to completely coat the wings. Transfer the wings to a serving plate, and serve immediately with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing.[p]This is very close to how Buffalo wings are made, but they're traditionally deep fried instead of grilled. The first time I tried this, I brushed on the sauce about halfway through. I got some major flarreups when I did this, but the wings still turned out great. I'm having some guests over for ribs tomorrow. Since I won't have time to do the wings first, I'm going to grill a batch tonight. Tomorrow night, I'll heta them in the oven, coat them with the sauce and serve them. I think that will be pretty good, but not as good as wings fresh off the grill.

Comments

• BluesnBBQ, I have done them that way and I agree with you, they are excellent. I've got to try them skinned.
    Gord

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    I usually suggest that folks don't go above about 375 deg or the wings can get into a darn high power grease fire and serious flameups. If you get them doing this it's almost impossible to get it to stop without smothering the fire for 15 min or more. This can have three effects - the smoking grease fire which is now going out will produce a foul greasy taste -or- you will over cook and burn the wings by leaving them in the closed Egg too long, or both. Opening the Egg to early will just rebuild that grease fire and FAST. I lost many an arm hair to this phenomenon.[p]Tim

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Tim M says, "I usually suggest that folks don't go above about 375 deg or the wings can get into a darn high power grease fire and serious flameups."[p]I haven't had that problem. The only flareup I got was the first tie, when I brushed on the margarine/hot sauce mix.
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    My dome temp has gotten away from me twice while doing a load of wings. Both times it was with 30+ wings on the grid and all was Ok until I hit about 375-400 and I couldn't flip those devils fast enough before the flames were roaring up. I would close the Egg and try to smother the fire but I would need to flip them in 10-15 min and the Egg would still be very hot and the fire would start again before I could flip them all. Now I watch more closely to keep it below 375. If you were doing 5-8 wings it would not be as much of a problem as with 30+ of them. [p]Tim

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I like to put the wings back on the grill just a little bit after I splash them in the sauce mix just to burn the sauce on. [p]Tried'em that way tonight. Turned out great.[p]