Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any ideas for Monkfish????

ShortRib
ShortRib Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought it on a whim in the store and want to cook it up. Looked for recipes on the web. It is referred as the "poor man's lobster tail?" This doesn't sound to great to me. I like the idea of kabobs. Any other ideas?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    ShortRib,
    Another great fish for grilling. Do you have the whole tail? It is really nice because other than the main spine there are no bones. I cut off all the skin, season and cook direct...lower than tuna, shark, mahi mahi, swordfish...as it has the best texture when cooked through. Say...350-375 or so.[p]Kabobs would be a great way to do them as well....but then you want to cook it hotter and shorter (450-500).[p]I might have to go get me some. It is one of my favorite fish.
    Let us know how it comes out!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ShortRib, Can you return it? There is nothing even remotely lobster like
    about Monkfish. Get a real lobster tail and a fish that does not pretend to be a lobster. They both taste better than Monkfish! I am a Monkfish
    survivor and most definately will not buy it again.

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    ShortRib,
    This is one of the nicest fish you can eat.
    Cut the filet from either side of the bone which runs down the centre of the tail, and that is it bones wise. There are no other bones in the tail, which is the edible part of the fish..
    You can then wrap the fillets in Parma ham and grill direct at about 450. This fish cooks quickly, but the time will depend on the thickness of the fillet. When it is cooked it is firm to touch, and is a creamy white colour, not grey/white like when it is raw.
    You can also cut into pieces about the size of a large prawn. Dip into flour, then egg wash, and then in breadcrumbs, and deep fry in corn oil for about 3 minutes. Delicious.
    This fish is also lovely in a fish stew. Make a good fish stock out of the head, and any other fish bones you can get your hands on. Boil with some herbs and root vegetables for about 20 minutes, then strain. Add some peeled, diced potatoes to the stock, and cook until they start to break up. Then add your pieces of Monkfish, and also some pieces of salmon, cod, haddock, or what ever fish you can get that is fresh. Cook for about 5/6 minutes, and serve with crusty bread.
    Monkfish can also be stir fried, as you would cook prawns, shrimp etc.
    They can be cut into small pieces, and serve in a bowl oh hot olive oil, which has been flavoured with fresh garlic. To eat you pick the pieces of monk out of the oil with a fork, and again I like to serve with crusty french bread.
    Monk fish can also be serve as sushi. Slice very thinly across the grain, and sprinkle with lemon juice or lime juice, as you prefer.You can sprinkle some fennel fronds on top if you like the flavour of aniseed. Allow to marinate until the fish becomes translucent, and serve with salad leaves and sweet tomatoes.
    Ignore the look of the fish, you are buying him for his taste not his looks.
    By the way, there are two beautiful pieces of meat on the cheeks of the fish. If your fish monger is preparing the fish for you, ask him to take out the cheeks, they are really tasty.
    Roger

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    irishrog,
    Thanks for the ideas. You sure know what your doing when it comes to seafood! I'm getting back into eating fish at least once a week and will be making a whitefish chowder tomorrow. Also tried something new for me, orange roughy poached in herbed white sauce. Bet monkeyfish would work for that. Monkfish is very interesting and easy to cook, no bones about it. He he he.
    Clay

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    ClayQ,
    an old chefs trick in Ireland to thicken chowder is to add in some crushed cream crackers. I dont know if you have these in the states but they are a dry tasteless cracker which are eaten with cheese here in Ireland. They work great to thicken a chowder if you dont want to use potatoes. They give a lighter texture to the soup, without diminishing the flavour of the fish.
    I saw a nice trick for satsuma/clemtine oranges on TV here over christmas. The chef poached them in stock syrup. When they came to the boil, he drained them and put them in fresh syrup. He did this three times, and said this made the skin sweet and palateable. After changing the syrup three times, he then poached the oranges for 4 minutes in the syrup, and the allowed them to cool(in the syrup). He then chilled the oranges and final syrup, and served them whole, with some of the chilled syrup, and some cream, whipped and sweetened with caster sugar, and flavoured with vanilla.
    It looked gorgeous, and I hope to try it as soon as I get time.
    Enjoy the Monkfish.
    Roger