Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

She says I can buy a second - which should it be?

Haggis
Haggis Posts: 998
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My spouse, despite her nasty comment about last night's strip steak, thinks I need a second Egg so I can time her side dishes better with the main dish. I, surprisingly, am resisting the idea of two Eggs for now but when I finally cave to her argument and superior intellect(which will happen eventually,) I wonder what I should consider in selecting among the sizes. My gut feeling is that a small would be best but I'd like to get the benefit of the years of experience represented by those on this forum. Presuming price is not an issue (a rash presumption!) what should I be looking at, and why?

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    bigpair.jpg
    <p />Haggis,[p]Hey, if you have the green light, go for another large![p]Nothing beats a pair of big ones for cook-offs, smoking 8 butts, etc.[p]You can always get a small later.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Haggis,
    It depends on whether you want to be able to transport the second egg on occasion. If not, then the largest size you can manage, as Grillmeister said, would be nice. I have a large and added the small 4 or 5 months ago because I wanted to be able to travel with it and wanted to have a second egg for side dishes or second types of meat. I love the small and cook on it most of the time for the two of us. The only drawback with the small is the fact that BGE doesn't make available a plate setter or Eggmates. Chubby's GrateMates and BGE's 8" ceramic dish are a fine addition to the small for indirect cooking as well as raising the cooking grid. Don't discount the medium as a second egg. It is a very fine cooking machine as well....

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Haggis,[p]
    I had a large and added a small. I too thought it would be nice to have one that was easier to move around. I have found that I do most of my cooking on the small and am probably using less lump as a result. I rarely have to cook for more than 8 people so the large and the small provide more than enough cooking realestate. Good luck in your choice. If you get a small definitely buy the grate mates!

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/224298.shtml[/ul]
  • Haggis
    GrillMeister,[p]OK, I have two recommendations for a small, one maybe for a medium, and a strong recommendation for a second large. [p]Curiously no one has mentioned price in this equation. Is this a weird Mastercard commercial where no matter what you get its still priceless? [p]OK, guys, if you had a choice between a second large at a good price (thinking Waldorf in May here!) versus a small at whatever I can get it for, which would you choose?[p]
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Haggis,
    Large, if money and space are not limitations. I got a small for my second grill but have a want for another large for those mega cookout occasions. You can cook a lot of ribs on a large......but twice as much with two :>)[p]H

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Haggis,
    i would get the second large and then later get a small. the only thing that a small does better at is conserve lump.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,[p]I second that. I LOVE my second large almost as much as my first one. (I don't want them to hear that though).
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Dos Huevos,
    i keep my 2 larges separate, one in each camp, 1 large and a small at the home camp and there are times when i need to bring the second large home. 2 larges are great. the small i use quit abit as im just one and the need to conserve lump is high when you go thru as much as i do. as for travel, i bring the large, cant see cooking on a camping trip with the small. my vote is for 2 larges and a small

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Haggis,
    come to eggfest in waldorf maryland on may 6th. ..you can buy a once used large for around 500 bucks. ... doesnt' get much better than that. ..[p]otherwise, a small is a great companion to a large (i have two larges and a small, but for a while it was the large and the small, and they compliment each other very nicely). ..

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Mornin' Haggis,
    I opted for a second large for holidays, guests & daughters sleepovers.
    Happy with my decision.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Haggis,
    I have one of each size, except the XL.
    The common perception is that the most powerful combo is a Large and a Small. [p]The small can actually cook steaks better because the meat is closer to the fire. For one rack of Ribs, I love the small I roll the ribs and stand them up and never look at them again. I have had my small the longest of all my eggs and I would not trade it for any other size. A bag of charcoal used to last me six months.[p]That being said, it seems that the Medium is my first choice to cook on. I don’t know why, it just works out that way. It is great size for a pot of bean while the Brisket is cooking on a large.[p]The large gets the call for the heavy lifting and baking.[p]The Mini is the take along grill. It goes on vacation with us and fits in a milk crate. One coffee can of charcoal lasts a week and I have cooked a rack of ribs on it.[p]For the adventurous on the Forum, people have made a contraption out of a small and large where they link the two together using stove piping. They light the fire in the small and then achieve cold smoking temps in the large without any charcoal in the Large.[p]If cost is no object, heck get the XL and you will be able to feed an army.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Haggis,[p]I always have gotten the feeling that price is never option on this board, with the exception of the price and/or burn rate of lump charcoal.[p]Jethro
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    OPTION??, I think I meant to say concern, but I am confused again.[p]Jethro
  • Haggis
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Thanks for the thought fodder! As far as the XL is concerned, I tried to open one in a local retail store this week and nearly reopened my hernia -- I think I'll pass on that size! ;~)
  • Haggis
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Yeah, Waldorf was where I bought my large last May -- price is right. I sorta wish they also had once-used smalls available. And if my spouse doesn't want to come this year I may just invite my near-neighbor "I Luv My Egg" to whom you recently introduced me -- she says she hasn't been to Waldorf yet.
  • Haggis
    fishlessman,[p]Yeah, but you live up north where you probably heat your home with an XL on one bag of lump for the entire season! ;~)