Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TVs at Eggtoberfest?

Options
We are going to Eggtoberfest this Saturday at Stone Mountain with some die-hard Georgia fans. Anyone know if there will be any TVs at the festival?

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Somebody would rather watch TV at Eggtoberfest?  :-O

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Who is your cable provider? The WatchESPN app carries the SEC network.

ETA: You can watch the game on your phone if you have a associated provider.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Shouldn't matter now that Gurley has been suspended by the NCAA.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Smokinpig said:

Shouldn't matter now that Gurley has been suspended by the NCAA.

It's funny you should bring this up. Todd Gurley has been suspended for profiting off of memorabilia in his likeness etc but, likely only 1/2 game or 1 game suspension will be enforced (I'm sure just in time for the FL GA game). OSU had 5 players with this sort of violation and were forced / suspended from play for 5 games.
    :-??
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Smokinpig
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Not a georgia fan so here is my unbiased take. The guys should be able to profit of their success in college. The schools clearly are, the coaches as well. But it should be held in escrow or a trust until they leave or graduate and there should be vesting scale, 100% vested only with a degree leave early get less. I think manziel only got a half game for this last year, from initial chatter this sounds like it could be longer. Shame guy could have won the heisman.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Student athletes ARE getting paid ...with their education at a college that many of them would otherwise not be able to afford. Some students receive full rides by excelling in academics and some with athletics. Don't like the NCAA rules then don't play. Simple enough. My issue is that the punishment for violations isn't the same across the board.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    I agree with the lack of consistency for punishment. I also agree with the payment via education on scholarship. I do not oppose them making a few grand a year that they get at graduation. Most of these guys come from nothing so it is extra incentive not to screw up like so many do.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Last year, some of the cooks had TV's going.  I would love to see the Tech Duke game but most of you wouldn't understand.  
    Milton, GA.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

Student athletes ARE getting paid ...with their education at a college that many of them would otherwise not be able to afford. Some students receive full rides by excelling in academics and some with athletics. Don't like the NCAA rules then don't play. Simple enough. My issue is that the punishment for violations isn't the same across the board.

Hahaha hahaha hahaha! Whew! That was a good one. Please explain what alternative they have to play besides college. Also, is it fair that some players make as much as 20 million dollars for the school individually but don't see a dime and many times their "full rides" don't cover everything? Meanwhile the "non-profit" NCAA makes record profits with sponsorships based on the work of these players. The problem isn't Gurley, it's that the NCAA is a sham and needs to die.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Athletic scholarship athletes are not allowed to work while on scholarship. That's the part that sucks for them. I gave up my scholarship to be able to work for some spending money (promptly burned thru in New Orleans).

Academic scholarship kids can do whatever they want

The escrow account idea sounds pretty good to me! Might be worth looking into!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Smokinpig
    Options
    Here is what the AJC published today. I guess there is more rigor to the suspension standards than we thought.

The length of a suspension likely would hinge on the value of those benefits.

NCAA Bylaw 12.1.2.1.6 sets specific guidelines for such penalties:

1. Value of the benefit ranges from greater than $100 to $400 = withholding of 10 percent (of games) and repayment;

2. Value of the benefit ranges from greater than $400 to $700 = withholding of 20 percent (of games) and repayment;

3. Value of benefit ranges greater than $700 = withholding of 30 percent (of games) and repayment.

Barring other circumstances that might add to the penalty, the guidelines indicate a suspension would range from one to four games if a player receives benefits worth more than $100. But a “substantial” case might be cause for further penalty.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    Options
    read this somewhere earlier today, I'm paraphrasing:

"The fact that Brady Hoke can make a profit in the NCAA and Todd Gurley can't shows just how twisted its system is."
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Yes they do make money for the school but they do get a full ride and let's not kid each other. ...there's other perks. They also have better housing, unbelievable training centers and tutors to help with Basket Weaving 101. =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Also, an out of state tuition is ridiculous. At $40k a year x 4-5....that's getting paid.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    henapple said:

Yes they do make money for the school but they do get a full ride and let's not kid each other. ...there's other perks. They also have better housing, unbelievable training centers and tutors to help with Basket Weaving 101. =))

Maybe at certain schools. I lived with football players at Maryland and most athletes live in upperclassmen dorms or off campus. A "full ride" isn't a full ride for high level athletes. They don't get extra food on top of what regular students get, despite the much higher calorie demand. You're kidding yourself if you think this system is fair. Maybe 50 years ago, but not today.