Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My old Country Rib recipe was great on the BGE!

Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Still enjoying all the recipes I've gotten off of this forum since I've owned my BGE the last month. In fact last night was the first time I cooked something of my own, an old country rib recipe that was a good as ever.[p]It similar to alot of recipes I've read about on the forum and it's as easy as can be. Place French's yellow mustard all over the country ribs along with coarse ground pepper and kosher salt. Take one stick of butter, melt it and add 6 to 10 teaspoons of white vinegar (to use as a baste).[p]After the BGE is up to 350 degrees, place ribs on fire and brush on top of ribs the butter/vinegar baste. Close lid for 10 to 15 minutes then turn ribs and re-baste the cooked side. Keep flipping and basting ribs until the baste is close to gone. Then just leave the ribs alone until you are muniutes from pulling them off the fire.[p]At that time open lid, and baste with a coat of molasses. Turn ribs with molasses side on fire. Get molasses cooked, but do not burn it. If you do burn it, re-molasses that side and re-cook it. Once one side is done, molasses and cook the other side.[p]After that pull them off the fire and enjoy.[p]I cooked these for twenty years on all type of other cookers and they were great on the BGE.[p]Frank

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Franco,[p]Your ribs sound fantastic and I will certainly give them a try. Could you please define "country ribs" in a little more detail so I will be sure to use the correct cut.[p]Many thanks

• Franco
    Bob, I'm not real good with cuts of meat, but these are pork ribs. I've got them with bones and without (I like the boned taste a little better). They are quite fatty and by the time you add the butter, they are full from a diet food.[p]Most butchers will know exactly what they are.[p]Frank[p]
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Bob & Franco,[p]Country ribs can either be sliced-up pork butt or chops from the blade end of the loin, and they're cooked differently. Here's a recent post from db that explains how to tell what you've got and what to do with them.[p]Cathy[p]****************[p]Posted by db on August 06, 2000 at 22:08:12:[p]In Reply to: Country Ribs posted by Ray on August 05, 2000 at 15:52:30:[p]Ray, I think it depends on your ribs. Around here (KC) we get two kinds of country style ribs. Sometimes they take a boston but and slice it
    thick and label it country ribs. The good butchers label the package country style loin ribs,
    when they cut the ribs from the first three or four ribs next to the shoulder. In Gfw's pictures you can see both kinds. In one picture there is a
    small curved rib bone on the meat (Loin). In another picture, there is a section of the blade bone (shoulder). I like to cook the loin ribs over a
    higher heat for about 45 minutes. The shoulder ribs benefit from low and slow like the other fellows were describing.
    The more small sections of meat separated by fat and connective tissue there is in the rib, the further away it was from the loin (on the
    shoulder) and so it needs a longer cook. Love them loin ribs.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Cat and Franco,[p]Thanks for the additional info. I know what to look for now. I "thought" that is what Franco was describing but just wanted to be sure. We make these often ourselves (a different method) and wanted to try Franco's recipe out next time they come up on the schedule.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Franco,[p]It sounds like you're saying to cook country styled ribs (actually pork shoulder end cuts) for what 1 hr at 350 and flipping every 10-15 min? Doesn't sound like enough time. Country ribs like long slow cooking at lower temps since they tend to burn easily since they are pre cut. I am not a big fan so my site has little to nothing on them. Check GFW's and I know Nature B does them often.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's BGE site[/ul]
  • Franco
    Tim M, after the baste runs out I probually cooked them another hour. Total time was probually 1 hour and 45 minutes.[p]Frank