Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket

Options
RAK
RAK Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am ready to try my first brisket. The store only had the flat cut. Got about a 7 pounder, at 1.99 per pound in Utah. I've checked the archives and read what I can, but I'm still confused. I think I will use JJ's rub and place fat side up on the v-rack over a drip pan. So far so good? I have a medium egg. Should I try for about 250*? The times given vary from 6 hours to 20 hours! HELP! I don't want to lose sleep over this like I did my first PP! I understand, I think, when to pull it off, but not how long this will take. Should I wait until tomorrow to cook it and marinade it first? How am I going to serve this after it is cooked? Thanks for all your help.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Rak,
    250*, fat side up. I use a V-rack with drip pan. About 12 hrs should do it. If you have a Polder thermometer, internal temp of 190-200*. If not, insert a fork and if it will not lift the brisket it will be done. Take it off the EGG wrap in foil and let rest for about 45 min or so. Slice against the grain. Potato salad, corn on the cob, any type beans, etc., goes great with it. I like a dipping to go along with it. Relax and enjoy some fantastic dining.

• RAK
    RAK Posts: 27
    Options
    JJ,
    Thanks-This meat is huge. Do I just lay it in the rack and let it hang over? I have another grill. Could I just lay the meat on this grill and use foil under it for a drip pan?

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Rak,
    That will work. I use aluiminum foil for a drip pan alot. Elevate the additional grill, perhaps setting it on top of the v-rack with the foil shaped into a pan underneath the rack. If it gets done quicker than you need it, wrap in foil place in a cooler and it will hold well. If not quite done cook a little longer. Remember to relax, have some libation and enjoy.